Network Support Engineer
- San Francisco, CA
Network Support Engineer
We are building a network of future Merakians. We want to get to know you—your background, your passions, your skills—so that when the right job opens up, we’ll know exactly who to contact. If you are sharp, curious, and eager to make an impact, keep reading about the role. Let us know if you are interested and together, we’ll simplify technology so the world can simply work.
As a Network Support Engineer, you will be responsible for providing quality technical support for our growing client and partner base. You will diagnose problems and work with the entire Meraki product line, including our wireless access points, security appliances, switches, cameras, Meraki Dashboard backend, software products, and future releases. Our support engineers are foremost problem-solvers passionate about networking, and we seek talented, hardworking and tech-savvy individuals to build upon our rapidly expanding Cloud Networking Group. This customer-facing role will expose you to a diverse group of teams within Meraki including: Engineering, Product Management, Sales, Operations, Training Development, and Strategy - providing endless opportunities for career growth in a lively, exciting, and fast-paced environment.
Characteristics of success in this role include previous experience in supporting or testing LANs, VLANs, VPNs, NAT devices, or DHCP servers; experience installing and solving WiFi networks; and having the ability to multitask and work under stress. We're looking for people who take pride in doing excellent work, and can both guide and learn from those around them.
- Optimally communicate with third parties such as partners and customers regarding technical issues and customer service inquiries, primarily over the phone and in writing.
- Troubleshoot and diagnose wireless, security, switching, and other various network-related issues reported by Cisco Meraki customers and partners.
- Own each customer case from initial creation to resolution.
- Collaborate with other support team members to fix network outages, misconfigurations, and sophisticated networking issues on customers' devices.
- Read and analyze packet captures using Wireshark.
- Work with engineering and management to diagnose and resolve critical, escalated issues.
- Understand and utilize Unix Console Commands to troubleshoot and diagnose Meraki devices and Meraki Dashboard services.
- Use acquired knowledge to suggest, edit, and write in-depth Knowledge Base articles.
- Stay up to date on Meraki features and technology by completing instructor-led and self-paced training modules, participating in engineering and product team communication, and keeping up with enterprise and cloud networking trends.
- Fundamental understanding of and hands-on experience with network technologies including firewalls, content filters, routing/switching, VLANs, VPNs, and 802.11a/b/g/n/ac wireless.
- Detailed comprehension of fundamental networking protocols including TCP, STP, ARP, DNS, Ethernet, OSPF, etc.
- Experience supporting or testing LANs, VLANs, WLANs, VPNs, NAT devices, &/or DHCP servers.
- Outstanding English language written and verbal communication skills and comprehension.
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate both technical and non-technical concepts to third parties.
- Outstanding customer service skills.
- Excellent time management, follow-through, and attention to detail.
- Experience in computer networking related problem solving, critical thinking, and troubleshooting.
- Ability to multitask and work under stress.
- Working towards or have a bachelor's degree in Computer Information Technology, Information and Computer Technology, Networking and IT Security, or a related field from a credible university. Complete degree vital to begin work.
- Networking certifications a plus: CCNA, CCNP CWNA, etc.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and teamwork. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Back to top