Embedded Platform/UI Software Engineer, Co-Op
*This is a YEAR LONG Co-Op Position from May 2020 - May 2021*
The modern world runs on the Internet, and the Internet cannot exist without its underlying infrastructure. Meraki makes setting up, managing, and maintaining that infrastructure easier than it has ever been before. Meraki enables connectivity everywhere from neighborhood cafes to renowned universities to global hospitality groups operating thousands of sites.
As a Platform and/or UI Software Engineer at Meraki, you will focus on injecting Meraki Magic into every device we make. You will work with our internal hardware team, as well as vendors and manufacturers emphasizing long-term sustainability. You will be the first to touch new hardware and will be a critical part of enabling us to build and sell innovative hardware solutions. From Dashboard, our customers can control their entire Meraki stack: access points, switches, firewalls, client devices, cameras, and more. You will work across the stack with other developers, UX designers, hardware engineering, and product management to build and improve our products. Meraki engineers put the customer experience first, own projects from beginning to end, and are empowered to make impactful decisions.
Meraki believes that the quality of our product is dependent on the quality of our engineers. We place a high value on nurturing the growth and development of everyone on our team. We foster an open and supportive workplace where everybody is given the opportunity to succeed.
The members that fill this role will be in an opportunity to ship multiple IoT products to the market
EXAMPLE PROJECTS OF A SOFTWARE ENGINEER:
- Assist in bringing up new platforms including kernel and bootloader development
- Collaborate with our Hardware Engineers and our manufacturing partners on the design of new Meraki products
- Maintain the Linux kernel used across products
- Develop new features like secure boot and safe remote upgrades
- Contribute to Click, a software defined routing framework
- Craft data visualizations to intuitively display the performance of different networks and applications
- Collaborate with UX designers and analyze user feedback to identify frictional workflows, then build tools to streamline those processes
- Improve performance and efficiency of our front end, allowing us to handle increasingly large datasets with minimal delay
- Build internal frameworks and refine front end infrastructure to augment developer productivity
YOU ARE AN OUTSTANDING APPLICANT IF:
- You have experience with a strong foundation in the fundamentals of computer science
- You are proficient with C/C++ programming languages and demonstrate working knowledge with pointers, memory allocation, and bit shifting
- You have past project or internship experience working with embedded firmware development, Linux kernel, and/or bootloaders (U-Boot, etc.)
- You are interested in the cross between software and hardware and have experience with hardware based performance optimization (crypto accel, multicore, DPDK, etc.)
- You strive to build rich and dynamic web applications with front-end frameworks such as React, Redux, Ember, or Angular
- You are familiar with programming languages and web frameworks like Ruby (Rails, EventMachine), Python (Django, Flask), or Node.js (Express)
- You can expertly work beyond the boundary of frontend code to build the best product
- You would flourish within a small engineering team and are excited to tackle open-ended problems
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
At Cisco Meraki, we don't just accept difference - it's one of our key values. Everybody In means we listen to each other's opinions. Everybody is accepted and valued here, and we are a team that works as one towards our goals. We recognize that diverse teams make the strongest teams, and we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply.
Back to top