Sr Lead Engineer - Production Design Understand Imagine
The Production Design Group within Chick-fil-A, Inc. engineers innovative restaurant system solutions to enable profitable growth for 2,200+ restaurants.
The Senior Lead Engineer role within the Understand/Imagine group of Production Design will work within a team of three engineers that will drive new food-production equipment, systems, and process projects from conception to implementation. The role specifically has two vital tasks in Chick-fil-A's Innovation process:
- Understanding problems the chain will face in speed, space, complexity, capacity, and Team Member experience.
- Imagining possible solutions to the problems, converging on the most valuable ones.
When the team's projects are outside the Understand/Imagine phases, this engineer is expected to continue to contribute to a project's success by leveraging his or her unique and versatile abilities to turn ideas into prototypes, validate project performance in Chick-fil-A's restaurants, and collaborate with a larger project team to launch solutions that deliver business value to the organization.
This engineer needs to be skilled and comfortable influencing and communicating to cross-functional partners at all levels of the organization. A chief contribution will be to utilize disciplined principles of engineering analysis, problem-solving, and innovative design. This position must be able to understand current state-of-the-art food-industry equipment designs and apply innovative, forward-thinking design initiatives prior to the need being explicitly stated or identified.
- Directly lead new equipment design and development projects through the Understand/Imagine phases
- Contribute to projects when they are outside the Understand/Imagine phases
- Provide leadership and influence to a broad range of cross-functional partners
- Identify barriers, bottlenecks, and pain points to continued profitable growth, prioritize problems to solve, and imagine robust solutions to meet business objectives.
- Lead collaboration with cross-functional teams to ensure that projects meet all business needs and are successfully executed within constraints
- Communicate well with and influence non-technical business disciplines through the explanation and adoption of technology as applied to menu and operational strategies
- Serve multiple up and downstream partners to accomplish goals of varied stakeholders.
- The candidate will be required to leverage their skills as an individual contributor and in a technical leadership capacity
- Will be responsible for aligning strategy and work output with various cross-functional disciplines including, but not limited to, other teams within Production Design, Restaurant Development, Supply Chain, Kitchen Design, Culinary Commercialization, and Field Ops
- Bachelor of Science in an Engineering Discipline (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial)
- At least 5 years of work experience in one of the following areas: Lean, IE, or Process Engineering
- Proven ability to provide technical leadership to mentor peers
- Ability to work with wide latitude for unreviewed action or decision on most outcomes
- Proficiency in MS Office products (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Advanced project management skills demonstrated
- Excellent communication, relational, and team skills to enable interaction with restaurant team members, as well as corporate peers and leaders
- Knowledge to produce and maintain technical specification documents on both process and equipment improvement opportunities
- Experience leading cross-functional teams that include both technical and non-technical aptitudes
- Ability to move work forward in an environment of urgency
- Experience with and an aptitude toward work involving applied research to explore and define technically vague concepts with the ability to apply them to executable projects
- Master of Science in an Engineering Discipline (Mechanical, Industrial) or MBA
- Lean or Six Sigma Certification
- Prior experience in a food processing environment
- People management experience with an engineering team in a professional environment
Minimum Years of Experience
Required Level of Education
Preferred Level of Education
Engineering Discipline (Mechanical, Electrical, Industrial)
Minimum GPA (4.0 Scale)
Back to top