The ideal candidate will support the Tax Department's Sales Tax Research function by assisting the Tax Research Manager with technical analysis.
Support the Sales Tax Research Team by performing the following essential functions:
- Provide support to the Tax Controversy and Planning Teams by performing complex tax research and analysis, including preparation of written memoranda and multi-state and local matrices.
- Assist in communicating impact of research to both the Vice President and Director of Tax, as well as third-party franchisees when required.
- Assist Tax Research Manager with the ownership, investigation and communication of product taxability issues identified for the business.
- Build a relationship with the Menu Development Team, Supply Chain and other teams impacting products and where sales occur.
- Work directly with the Tax Technology Team to ensure taxability decisions are appropriately reflected in SABRIX.
- Assist Tax Research Manager with the overall use tax taxability decisions for both the Company and third-party franchisees. Build a relationship with Facilities, Restaurant Development and Real Estate Reinvestment to better understand changes impacting Real Estate and Equipment.
- Work directly with the Tax Technology team to ensure products purchased are accrued at the correct tax rate.
- Provide assistance to the Property Management and Real Estate Teams regarding the taxability of lease transactions from a sales and use tax perspective.
- Provide assistance to the Design, Construction and Reinvestment Teams regarding the taxability of construction transactions from a sales and use tax perspective.
- Assist with analyzing business programs throughout Chick-fil-A and assist Tax Research Manager with advising on tax impacts and mitigation strategies. Monitor @CFA and Corporate Communication emails to learn of new initiatives and report to the Tax Research Manager.
- Provide assistance with the retrieval of audit documentation, preparation of audit submission, development of robust workpapers to support tax position, payments, memorandum and reconciliation of audit inputs. Support Controversy Manager with justification of tax positions and audit negotiations through data analysis and taxability research.
- Assists Tax Controversy and Research Manager in documenting and implementing appropriate corrective actions to reduce exposure for tax liability issues. Establish working relationships with business groups outside Tax to obtain information and support to advance tax efforts for both the Company and third-party franchisees. Serve on cross-functional teams to represent Tax as it relates to potential tax exposure areas and assist in ensuring tax implications are considered. Serves as the Tax Liaison to two to three business groups outside Tax.
- Monitor state and local tax legislation and current developments that impact the Company and third-party franchisees and provide analysis as appropriate. Communicate with appropriate members of the Company and third-party franchisees, as needed.
- Leads technical analysis to determine appropriate reporting of tax return items, as requested by the Tax Compliance Manager. Ensure reporting is aligned with and appropriately reflects business transactions and is in compliance with state and local tax law.
- Assist the Tax Compliance Team by preparing and filing assigned complex sales and use tax, and meals tax returns.
- Assist in the development and standardization of sales tax policies and procedures based upon tax legislation and planning strategies.
- Assist in the performance of refund analysis and secure refund claims related to indirect taxes.
- Manage assignments of professionals serving as Accountant II, Accountant 1, and Tax Analyst. Interacts and oversees outside loan staff assigned to sales and use tax team, as needed.
- Build and foster relationships between Company and industry tax professionals and state and local taxing authorities through attendance at industry events, governmental events and other functions.
- Assist in special projects, as needed.
- Regular, reliable presence in the office is required to perform the essential functions of the position.
- Intermediate to advanced proficiency with BNA Tax Research, RIA Checkpoint, or similar product.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint.
- Experience with CorpSales, SABRIX, VERTEX, Oracle, Access, Tableau and Thompson Reuters OneSource is preferred.
- 4-year undergraduate degree required in Accounting or Finance, with preference for Master's in Accounting/Tax.
- Certified Public Accountant designation or J.D. required, Masters in Tax or LLM preferred.
Minimum Years of Experience
Required Level of Education
Preferred Level of Education
Accounting or Finance
Meet Some of Chick-fil-A's Employees
Customer & Market Insights
Natalie focuses on understanding what consumers think about the brand, ensuring that the company's brand strategy and decision making process are informed by consumer perceptions and needs.
Back to top