This position is responsible for the effective provisioning, installation/configuration, operation, monitoring, backup, and maintenance of data center systems hardware, software, and related server and network infrastructure. This individual participates in technical research and development to enable continuing innovation within the data center environment of the Chicago Cubs, infrastructure technology in Wrigley Field, the Chicago Cubs training academy in the Dominican Republic and the Chicago Cubs spring training facility in Mesa, AZ. This individual ensures that system hardware, operating systems, software systems, and related procedures adhere to organizational standards.
In addition to the primary role of operating and maintaining data center technology this individual will assist project teams with implementation and resolution of technical issues. These activities may include the definition of needs, benefits, and technical strategy; research & development within the project life-cycle; technical analysis and design; and support of operations staff in executing, testing and deployment of the solutions.
- Install new/rebuild existing servers and configure hardware, peripherals, services, settings, directories, storage, etc. in accordance with organizational and security standards, and project/operational requirements.
- Maintain and administer the computer networks and related computing environments, including hardware, systems software, applications software, administrative tools and utilities, and all configurations including the installation and management of operating system patches and upgrades on a regular basis.
- Research and recommend innovative, and where possible automated approaches for system administration tasks. Identify approaches that leverage our resources and provide economies of scale.
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, network and server resources, systems and key processes, reviewing system and application logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs, including backups.
- Perform regular security monitoring to identify any possible intrusions. Implement appropriate security measures at a network and server level.
- Setup backup and replication jobs, verify success and conduct regular testing.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted users. Provide incident reports on significant issues.
- Maintain operational, installation, configuration, and other procedures via the Cubs IT Department internal Knowledge Base.
- Perform periodic performance reporting to support capacity planning.
- Perform ongoing performance tuning, hardware upgrades, and resource optimization as required. Configure CPU, memory, and disk partitions as required.
- Maintain data center environmental and monitoring equipment.
- Participate in on-call rotation and perform off-hours work as needed.
- To provide additional support on a project basis to the Assistant Director, Technology Infrastructure.
- Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer science or information systems and/or equivalent work experience/knowledge.
- 3-5 years of hands-on administration in AD/Windows environments.
- Highly self-motivated and directed; detail oriented with strong communication skills.
- Able to organize, plan, prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Ability to work effectively with vendors, clients and other technical staff.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Technical expertise with Microsoft Operating Systems 7/8/10/2008/2012, installation/configuration of Microsoft Exchange 2010/2013, Active Directory & Domain architecture, SCCM, IIS, NTFS permissions, role based security, Group Policy Objects, DNS, DHCP, OS security, systems patching and Windows Clustering.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL server administration, working knowledge of clustering, monitoring, backups, and basic queries.
- Working knowledge of Linux/Unix environments.
- Experience with anti-virus, anti-malware, anti-exploit policies solutions (Carbon Black Defense & Response / Symantec Endpoint Protection preferred).
- Experience in the support and administration of data center hardware including, but not limited to, HP & Dell servers, NAS & SAN storage (EMC enterprise class, specifically Isilon and VNX) with monitoring and replication experience, UPS and power distribution.
- Experience working with VMware vSphere Hypervisor ESXi 5.5 or greater in a high available, clustered environment.
- Experience working with backup, disaster recovery and virtualization management software for VMware and Hyper-V virtual environments (Veeam preferred).
- Working knowledge of Solar Winds NPM.
- Working knowledge of wireless networking and wireless devices, including but not limited to Extreme Networking, Cisco and Meraki hardware.
- Familiarity with the setup, configuration and maintenance of Cisco switches (45XX series, 37XX series and 29XX series) and routers (Cisco 29XX series).
- Microsoft, Cisco, Extreme Networking and/or Security Certifications (MCSE, MCSA, CCNA, CCNP, CISSP)
- Working knowledge of appliance and software-based firewalls (Cisco ASA, Palo Alto), including the setup of SSL VPN and PTP VPN Tunnels.
The Chicago Cubs are an Equal Opportunity Employer
See Inside the Office of Chicago Cubs
The Chicago Cubs are a professional baseball team and one of two remaining charter members of Major League Baseball’s National League. Cubs fans can watch the action live at Chicago’s historic Wrigley Field or at away games across the country. Fans can get the latest news on players and events at the yearly Cubs Convention or by reading Vine Line—the official Cubs magazine.
Back to top