The Chicago Cubs is the oldest, continuous professional sports team still playing in its original city, a world famous brand, the operator of the most beautiful ballpark in America, and the 2016 World Series champion. As a member of our legal department, the successful candidate will support the business operations team by drafting and negotiating agreements, providing ad hoc advice and counsel, and working with cross-functional business teams and external parties, and handling a wide variety of corporate and commercial matters.
- Providing advice and counsel in real time to various business stakeholders a wide range of legal issues;
- Conducting legal research and drafting memoranda;
- Drafting, developing, and implementing organizational policies and procedures;
- Drafting and reviewing contracts with vendors, landlords, and other partners;
- Overseeing general corporate and business law matters, including tax, governance, and compliance.
- 2 years’ experience working as a licensed attorney; license to practice in Illinois or admission within six months.
- Rapidly assess potential legal and compliance risks, benefits and consequences of decisions, present alternatives and propose solutions to achieve business objectives while skillfully managing both legal and practical business considerations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative environment, with good judgment regarding when to elevate issues.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills as well as negotiation experience.
- An ability to work well under pressure, take ownership of projects, prioritize effectively and keep track of multiple projects/deadlines.
- An excellent work ethic and commitment to professionalism and excellent attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Law degree from a top-tier, accredited law school.
- 3-5 years’ experience in a law firm or in-house environment preferred, but all outstanding candidates will be considered, and compensation will be commensurate with experience.
- Federal or state district/trial court clerkship a plus.
- Additional consideration will be given to attorneys with experience with some or all of the following areas (but none are required):
o ERISA law, particularly commercial agreements with ERISA fiduciary considerations
o Technology licensing
o Commercial agreements related to employee benefits, including health and welfare or pension and retirement benefits and/or benefit administration
o Real estate acquisitions and leasing
- Cover letter and resume outlining your candidacy.
- Law school transcript.
- The telephone numbers of three references.
- A writing sample (10 pages or less).
PLEASE NOTE: CONTACTING MEMBERS OF THE CHICAGO CUBS FRONT OFFICE OTHER THAN THE HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT ABOUT THIS POSITION ARE DISCOURAGED.
The Chicago Cubs are an Equal Opportunity Employer
See Inside the Office of Chicago Cubs
The Chicago Cubs are a professional baseball team and one of two remaining charter members of Major League Baseball’s National League. Cubs fans can watch the action live at Chicago’s historic Wrigley Field or at away games across the country. Fans can get the latest news on players and events at the yearly Cubs Convention or by reading Vine Line—the official Cubs magazine.
Back to top