Assistant Director, Technology Infrastructure
This position is responsible for managing the technology infrastructure across the organization's facilities – Chicago Campus including Wrigley Field, Spring Training Performance Center and Sloan Park in Mesa AZ, Dominican Republic Training Academy, and the presence in each of the minor league affiliates. This includes management of the network, data center (performance, availability, capacity, backup & disaster recovery, security), audio & visual systems, telephony systems, and structured cabling for both Cubs operated systems and broadcast partner operations (Radio, Television, Internet).
This position will manage a team of infrastructure specialists along with a collection of service providers. The individual will implement policies and procedures regarding how problems are identified, received, documented, distributed, and corrected with the primary goal of maximizing infrastructure availability.
- Design and implement short- and long-term strategic plans to ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
- Develop, implement, and maintain policies, procedures, and associated training plans for infrastructure administration and project management.
- Analyze performance of infrastructure operations and documented resolutions, identify problem areas, and devise and deliver solutions to enhance availability and to prevent future problems.
- Explore opportunities for maximizing or exploiting unused or partially used IT assets to achieve full efficiency and ROI from company resources.
- Oversee all reporting and documentation related to network and systems operations and develop maintenance schedules.
Acquisition & Deployment
- Manage the deployment, monitoring, maintenance, development, upgrade, and support of technology infrastructure.
- Approve purchase of equipment, supplies, and services in order to meet operational requirements of the business.
- Analyze existing operations and make recommendations for the improvement and growth and stability of the infrastructure and technology systems
- Negotiate with vendors, outsourcers, and contractors to secure infrastructure-specific products and services.
- Assist with the planning and deployment of infrastructure security measures.
- Manage operational costs; conduct near- and long-term financial forecasts for expanded functionality/user base.
- Test server performance and provide network performance statistics and reports; develop strategies for maintaining server and network infrastructure.
- Manage the television broadcasting infrastructure.
- Develop and enforce request handling and escalation policies/procedures in collaboration with the IT Service Desk.
- Track and analyze trends and generate statistical reports as needed.
- Contribute to escalated problem resolution by giving in-person, hands-on support when necessary.
- Manage infrastructure staffing, including recruitment, supervision, scheduling, development, evaluation, and disciplinary actions.
- Plan and conduct performance appraisals of staff and administer raises, bonuses and promotions when necessary.
- Train, coach, and mentor staff.
- Ensure appropriate training initiatives for new and existing staff.
- Four-year college diploma or university degree in computer science or related field
- At least ten years of experience and/or training in IT infrastructure management.
- Demonstrated high level of self-motivation and direction with keen attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to occasionally travel and work non-standard hours.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of networking technologies including LAN/WAN/IP routing, and firewalls.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of a range of diagnostic utilities, including Solarwinds Orion Network Performance Monitor.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of data storage technology including DAS, NAS, and SAN.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of unified communications systems.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of radio and television broadcasting infrastructure.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of audio and visual systems including CATV, MATV, and IPTV.
- Microsoft Certified Solution Expert and/or A+, Network+, Security+
- Experience with Extreme or Cisco switches, routers, firewalls, and encrypted VPN tunnels.
- Experience with desktop and server operating systems including Windows7, Windows Server 2008/2012, LINUX, and Macintosh.
- Experience with virtualization technology including VMWare and MS Hyper-V.
- Experience with MS Exchange and Active Directory.
- Experience with data backup and recovery solutions.
- Familiarity with the advanced principles of ITIL.
- Demonstrated progressive experience in the management of a technical support team.
- Strong understanding of human resource management principles, practices, and procedures.
- Strong understanding of project management principles.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills.
The Chicago Cubs are an equal opportunity employer.
Back to top