Chewy is growing! We’re looking for a strong Staff Software Engineer in Boston, MA to join our team developing work class Merchandising Platforms. Chewy is THE go-to online shopping destination for all things pet and we are continuously striving to delight pet parents with a seamless experience across our platforms.
Do you enjoy working in an fast paced environment, solving complex technical problems and delivering innovative solutions? Our Technology mission is to design and build world-class technology platforms that empower our business partners to create exceptional customer experiences. We aim to support the business by consistently delivering high-quality solutions that quickly address our business challenges. We operate on the following principles: provide a simple way to manage the products we sell, price competitively to support long-term customer trust, and design highly effective promotions.
Chewy is revolutionizing the pet industry as one of the fastest growing e-commerce retailers of all time. We offer a convenient way to shop for pet supplies within a highly personalized experience that's fueled by superior customer care. Headquartered in South Florida and Boston, our team of over 17,000 members-dispersed across our customer service centers, corporate offices and fulfillment centers-dedicate themselves to delivering pet happiness nationwide. Whether it's our easy-to-use website, great selection of high-quality products, competitive pricing, speedy deliveries, or award-winning 24/7 customer service, we aim to wow our customers in all aspects of our company. Chewy's environment is dynamic and faster than anything you've ever experienced, built for leaders who thrive on delivering results. We believe in leadership, accountability, relentlessness, and creativity. We work hard with a dogged determination, but we have fun, too…. which isn't hard to do when you have your favorite four-legged friends by your side!
Chewy Merchandising Platforms department is seeking a talented and motivated Staff Software Engineer within our Core shopping experience division. As a Staff Software Engineer, you will lead in innovating, designing, building services and frameworks that enable Promotion, and Segmentation Platforms to provide solutions for several business and technology initiatives. Delivering reliable and high-performance services and features at Chewy’s scale requires technical leaders with extraordinary expertise and boundless creativity. At Chewy, Staff Software Engineer are constantly innovating, developing frameworks, establishing governance and defining the architecture for our next generation platforms. They understand our business goals, collaborate with other leaders, innovate rapidly, delivering high-quality and high-value functionality.
What does it take to thrive as a Staff Software Engineer at Chewy? You need to be innovative, creative, responsible, and curious while leading a team of engineers to move quickly to deliver results for our customers. You’re excited about designing and implementing solutions that scale and engage customers to understand what’s needed to meet their needs. You’re able to think about platforms, architecture, design principles, understand operational implications, and lead us in evolving our service architecture in the course of a single conversation. You’re looking work with engineering leadership and mentor a team of bright, capable engineers to implement your vision.
What You'll Do:
- Design, develop and implement large scale distributed systems with large volumes of data focusing on scalability, latency and fault tolerance.
- Bring an expert understanding of the systems, their dependencies, have the ability to forecast and mitigate challenges every effectively
- Hold a high bar for the quality of the architecture and design of systems. You have the innate ability to keep it simple too
- Drive innovation through rapid prototyping and iterative development
- Work with a team of highly skilled engineers, developing and enabling highly scalable platforms to power our ecommerce ecosystem
- Be the expert when it comes to design principles, service-oriented architecture and developing applications of scale in the cloud while maintaining knowledge on industry innovations, trends and practices
- Set engineering excellence to the team and have the drive to focus on scalability, resiliency, high availability & performance of applications
- Actively mentor engineers, build and foster a strong engineering team culture and be a key contributor in raising the bar of the engineering org
- Generate and analyze engineering metrics to inform leadership in making data driven decisions
- Champion quality initiatives and best practices to enable the team to continue to develop high quality, maintainable, and performant code
- Effectively communicate with and influence key stakeholders across the enterprise, at all levels of the organization
- Display excellent verbal and written communication and be able to convey dissenting opinions in a constructive manner, particularly written communications
What You'll Need:
- 15+ years of industry work experience
- 10+ years of experience leading and developing large scale projects and initiatives
- 10+ years of software engineering experience with Java
- Experience in building event Streams with Kafka & No-SQL
- Ability to collaborate effectively with a diverse, talented team
- Strong proven ability in building high-performance, highly-available and scalable distributed systems
- Strong knowledge of data structures, algorithms, and designing for performance, scalability, and availability
- Strong expert experience in cloud native technology stack (AWS) and service-oriented architecture
- Clear understanding of emerging technologies and ability to apply those principles in solving critical business needs
- Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics, or another related field
- Position may require travel
- Strong engineering background building products that are ecommerce scale
- Prior roles in Ecommerce or in technology companies
- Experience working with AWS technologies
- Experience in building high performance systems
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com