Chewy is hiring a Principal Software Engineer for Chewy’s Pet Health Technology team in Boston, MA. Principal engineers are the ‘big dogs’ of the engineering world. You will be delivering solutions with multiple teams, be responsible for architecture, scalability and deadlines related to overall large scale project delivery. At Chewy engineers drive and you will be in the driver’s seat. The Pet Health space is one of the newest verticals at Chewy where expectations for principal engineers is to have the most up to date knowledge of the newest technologies and also an opportunity to learn the latest and greatest.
What You'll Do:
- You will be working directly with the VP of Engineering on architecture strategy of new products and scaling existing solutions
- You will be responsible for the success of major development initiatives which will include any and all parts of the ecommerce platform: customer management, order and shipment management, returns management, catalog management, competitive pricing tools, search and personalization services, and operational analytics
- Design reviews will be a large part of your responsibility, including shepherding designs from inception though implementation to deployment and post production enhancements.
- Mentoring other engineers and helping ensure cultivation of great talent across the engineering organization.
- Direct design review and code review process to constantly evolved as the team grows to enable development across many small teams with very little or no dependency between teams.
What You'll Need:
- 15+ years of experience in an object-oriented language such as Java or Scala
- Bachelor’s Degree (MIS or CS preferred) or equivalent work experience
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Proficiency in Computer Science fundamentals – object oriented design, data structures, algorithm - design, problem solving, and complexity analysis
- Deep experience in services architecture
- Experience mentoring and training the engineering community on complex technical issues
- Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
- Experience with designing, building and deploying scalable, highly available systems.
- Strong background with modern tools and environments (e.g., XML, web services, version control systems, bug/issue tracking tools)
- Have or (more importantly) be willing to learn deep domain knowledge in the area of retail e-commerce.
- Familiarity with cloud & orchestration technologies (AWS Services, Terraform, Ansible, etc.)
- Position may require travel
- Experience with Scrum, XP or other agile methodologies a plus.
- Good communication skills with both technical and business people.
- Experience in web technologies such as jQuery, jQuery mobile, AJAX and HTML5, frameworks like Django, Flask, Zappa or Serverless
- Experience with data analysis/mining in large scale database environments a plus.
- A working knowledge of optimization algorithms (e.g., linear programming) and mathematical modeling a plus.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at our company, please contact HR@Chewy.com.
Chewy is committed to equal opportunity. We value and embrace diversity and inclusion of all Team Members.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or similar law, or you require a religious accommodation, and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Chewy, please contact HR at chewy dot com