Director of Engineering - TechFinance
- London, United Kingdom
We're building the connected finance businesses deserve. Unleashing them with tomorrow's technology, today. Our flexible payments solutions help global enterprises - like Samsung, Deliveroo and Adidas - launch new products and create experiences customers love. And it's not just what we build that makes us different. It's how.
We liberate smart, passionate people to collaborate, innovate and do their best work - faster. That's why we're one of the most valuable fintech firms around. But we're just getting started. By cutting through financial complexity, we'll empower companies to change the world. Join us. Unlock your potential.
Build tomorrow, today.
Director of Engineering at Checkout.com
As Director of Engineering at Checkout.com, you will be working closely with your Engineering Leads across a number of product engineering teams to ensure the group product vision is realized through engineering excellence.
Reporting directly to the VP Engineering - Tech Finance, you will be working extensively on innovative engineering initiatives to make sure the business reaches its ambitious goals and bring Checkout.com's merchants an even more seamless payments journey with each transaction.
- 5+ years' experience building and architecting solutions in the financial ecosystem (ideally in Fintech or banking)
- 4+ years' experience managing multiple Engineering teams in a fast pace environment
- Ability to translate complex technical concepts and requirements to non-technical audiences
- Solid experience in Software Development, Design and Architecture
- Experienced with the design and development of high scale, globally distributed systems
- An understanding of finance; specifically the operation of a general ledger and basic accounting practises and principles
- Strong knowledge and application of software design patterns
- Experience with Unit and Integration testing
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Deployment workflows
- Strong experience in building and operating cloud-based microservices
- Superb communication skills, ability to interact effectively with multidisciplinary teams
- Proven experience developing, leading and implementing an agile mindset across multiple product engineering teams
- Fluent in English
What you will be doing
- Collaborate with the Product leadership team in setting the product roadmap and engineering priorities to deliver on the groups key results and objectives
- Manage with a hands-on approach to problem solving; providing context, direction with clear expectations, leaving enough space to individual engineering leads to lead their respective teams
- Review technical architecture proposals by engineering leads ensuring relevant considerations have been made about costs, scalability, performance, resilience, maintainability, observability and testability
- Look across teams for opportunities to improve communication and knowledge sharing, remove roadblocks and reduce complexity
- Develop a data-driven culture across the group's engineering team to track key technical metrics to support the prioritisation of product development
- Build strong relationships with key stakeholders to ensure alignment between all parties
- Drive innovation from a technical standpoint to support business strategy
- Drive a culture of cross-team learning, encourages engineers to present to a wider engineering audience
- Manage the priorities of the Tech Finance platform team in facilitating the product engineering teams in delivering their individual roadmaps
- Manage stakeholders and set realistic expectations on forecasted deliveries
- Participate in team knowledge management and make recommendations for continuous improvement of SDLC
- Contribute and adhere to API coding standards, best practices, and procedures
- Effectively manage and encourage team participation in all aspect of the product life cycle
What we stand for
At Checkout.com, everything starts with our values, including the experience we offer our people.
We supercharge your professional growth with career development programs and leadership training. You can learn your way, with tailored pathways and online platforms. And be inspired at relevant conferences.
We don't stop at 'good' here. We strive for excellence amongst our teams every day and recognize colleagues who take it to the next level through our quarterly peer-nominated Hero awards.
We're proud of our global connections and inclusive environment. So we champion this through our colleague-led community groups and celebrate many cultural events together.
Want to see us in action?
Take a peek inside here.
More about Checkout.com
We empower businesses to adapt, innovate and thrive with the connected payments they deserve. Our technology makes payments seamless. We provide the fastest, most reliable payments in more than 150 currencies, with in-country acquiring, world-class fraud filters and reporting, through one API. And we can accept all major international credit and debit cards, as well as popular alternative and local payment methods. Checkout.com launched in 2012, and we now have a team of 1000 people across 17 international offices. To date, we've raised a total of $830 million, with our recent Series C valuing us at $15 billion.
We believe in equal opportunities
Checkout.com is an equal opportunities employer. We welcome applications from all members of society irrespective of age, sex, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion, or belief. We make recruiting decisions based on your experience, skills and personality. We believe that employing a diverse workforce is the right thing to do and is central to our success.
Back to top