Staff QA Engineer
- Raleigh, NC
Your Opportunity The PC Core Technology (PCCT) Team represents a centralized domain responsible for managing holdings, investment performance, and automated re-balancing across the universe of investment portfolios within Schwab. The PCCT Development team is looking for a Staff Software QA who will excel in a dynamic fast-paced environment. The right candidate will have experience with QA best practices and proven experience performing all QA-related functions; including, but not limited to: vetting requirements; creating test plans, test data and test cases; executing test cases; creating automation scripts; and reviewing regression results in order to quickly determine if our products are ready for market. QA team members work very closely with developers on an integrated team dedicated to delivering high-quality solutions. The right candidate will enjoy being part of a highly interactive, Agile team. PCCT offers a wide range of technology opportunities for the best and brightest people to grow and demonstrate their skills as they develop high-performance financial applications.
The Staff QA Engineer will work closely with the development team and business analysts create and execute manual and automated software testing activities while delivering on multiple projects implementing new features and enhancements, and bug fixes on a large and complex portfolio management system. The right candidate will have expertise with QA best practices and have validated experience performing all QA-related functions such as vetting requirements, creating Test Plans and test cases, executing test cases, creating automation scripts, and reviewing regression results in order to quickly determine if our products are ready for market. QA team members work very closely with developers on an integrated team dedicated to delivering high quality solutions, and the right candidate will enjoy being part of a highly interactive, agile team.
What you're good at
- Participate in all aspects of testing: unit, integration, functional, regression, load/performance, automation and system testing.
- Work with the team to define scope and objectives of all levels of QA testing. This includes establishing the purpose and deliverables of the test effort, developing and implementing test plans/cases Develop and helping maintain automated testing scripts for complex environments.
- Contribute to the definition, development and implementation of quality assurance practices and procedures and other QA assessments.
- Adhere to the standards and best practices within the Agile Scrum methodology
- Establish fact based measurements of test efficiency, effectiveness and product readiness; examples include: defect densities, defect counts, code coverage and automation counts
- Manage and troubleshoot defects to resolution while proactively identifying risks to management Work collaboratively with development to identify testability of the architectural design and application code while infusing Quality into the teams deliverables
- Work directly with appropriate business partners and development to understand project concepts, objectives and approach of software development projects
- Responsible for estimating, coordinating and directing testing for multiple products/projects
- Strong collaboration skills. Works collaboratively with development during all stages of projects to provide in process testing results. Works directly with appropriate business partners and development to understand project concepts, objectives and approach of software development projects.
- Strong communications, teamwork, and problem-solving skills are necessary. Ability to interact and communicate well with business partners and technology teams is required. Written and verbal communication skills must both be strong.
- Develop automated testing scripts for complex environments
- Manage defects and proactively identify risks to management
- Able to work independently and in team environments.
- Strong debugging and troubleshooting skills to provide detailed root cause analysis.
What you have
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Technology, Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics or a closely related field
- 3-5 years' experience in Quality Assurance for highly complex projects related to Cloud or distributed platform, or mainframe batch applications
- Proven experience with black box and white box testing techniques and tools
- 3-5 years of experience in automating REST Services, Web Services, Micro-Services and data processes (extracting/loading)
- 3-5 years of experience with a subset of the following:
- Experience with Selenium, Selenium Grid, Protractor, HP Load Runner, Visual Studio or Parasoft SOATest
- Experience with Oracle, SQL, MongoDB, transfer or data delivery technologies
- Strong written and verbal communications, teamwork and problem-solving skills
- Experience supporting a Test-Driven Development culture by contributing to automated unit and integration tests
- Engage in testing as a part of the development cycle, thereby shortening the QA cycle, and increasing QA breadth and depth of knowledge of the Banking applications
- Ability to interact and communicate successfully with business partners and technology teams
- 1+ years of experience with Agile Development Practices, Scrum and supporting apps: Microsoft Test Manager (MTM), Jira, and GIT
- Self-starter who can grasp difficult concepts and large architectures quickly and stay on top of new and emerging technologies
- Ability to think outside the box and come up with creative solutions when tools don't work
- Experience working with resources in different geographical locations and offshore vendors
- Become familiar with the DevOps culture and practices, be ready to put to use immediately and incrementally
- Experience with financial services or brokerage industry will make ramp up easier
- 2+ years of experience in C# or C++
- 2+ years of experience in test automation tools
- 2+ years of experience in database principles, such as SQL, Oracle, Mongo DB or Hadoop
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle and processes such as SCRUM
- A yearning to understand and leverage new tools and technologies
- A yearning to leverage technology to build products that "wow" users
Back to top