Senior Manager, Cash and Margin Analytics
Location: the team is based in San Francisco which is the preferred location, but this position may be eligible for remote work from other Schwab offices. Non-Schwab locations also may be considered on a case by case basis.
The Cash and Margin Strategy and Analytics team is a strategy and integration group responsible for delivering high impact business strategy, competitive analysis and new product innovation for Charles Schwab Bank and for the brokerage Charles Schwab and Co. Inc., to serve our client's cash, margin, and banking needs.
An individual in this role will have the opportunity to gain substantial exposure and develop a strong reputation by working on strategic decisions of the firm's CEO, CFO, Bank President, and most senior executives involving the analysis of data on cash and margin. This role is unique in that it offers the opportunity to work on strategic projects that have a firm-wide impact while at the same time building subject matter expertise and industry knowledge in both the banking and brokerage industries.
A senior manager's responsibility could range from driving a specific work-stream supporting strategy development to owning project delivery from inception to completion. Project work could include deposit pricing analysis, cash balance forecasting, regulatory analysis, responding to regulators' requests, customer analysis and competitive research, economic and market analysis, business case development for new product/business opportunity, etc. The project work largely will involve analyzing and interpreting, for senior management of Schwab Bank and brokerage, data related to cash deposit products, cash strategy, and customer behavior, and will also support the margin product.
Individuals must have good partnership and collaboration skills as work typically requires a coordinated effort with team members and cross-functional business partners. Members of the team who are highly successful demonstrate the ability to act as data analytics specialists for the firm while also thinking strategically in helping to develop recommendations that are data driven and fact-based.
What you are good at
- Use econometric/time series analysis to build both short-term (1-6 months) and multi-year forecasts, based on internal historical data and based on our corporate macroeconomic forecast scenarios, of key cash balances, such as Bank Sweep or Schwab One Interest, and the sensitivity of those balances to interest rate movements and stock market activity
- Use discrete choice analysis to analyze cash product behavior such as checking account closure propensity and its causes
- Write SQL queries of Schwab's data warehouse to get data needed to analyze deposit behavior, size a new product opportunity, or size the amount of client cash being held in specific segments. Then, conduct the strategic analysis of the decision in question, develop a recommendation, and prepare Excel and Powerpoint documents to explain the decision
- Build a financial model to show the financial impact of key management decisions (e.g. deposit pricing, changes to Schwab Bank growth strategy) on Net Interest Revenue
- Identify creative use of statistical or machine learning tools to apply to various Schwab Bank strategic issues
- Tackle a strategic analysis end to end [identify the problem, develop alternatives, get the data needed to analyze the problem, work with the partners to understand their needs and perspectives, do the analytics to analyze the problem, present the results for feedback from the partners]
This position combines data science analytics with general business strategy. The best candidates will have hybrid backgrounds, with strengths in both areas, but we would rather hire a data scientist with more limited experience on the business side than a business strategist with more limited experience on the data side.
- Bachelor's degree and preferred, a post-grad degree or MBA; Ph.d, a plus (our workgroup is full of Ph.D.'s), but is not required.
- Training or background in applied mathematics, statistics, finance, economics, computer science, or other quantitative research field
This position interacts with Schwab's sophisticated analytics teams as well as Schwab's finance and strategy teams. This position is encouraged to help own the quantitative modeling of strategy surrounding bank and brokerage cash. Skill requirements include:
- Statistics, statistical and/or machine learning programming experience, and the ability to apply econometrics and/or data science tools where appropriate. Experience and facility with univariate and multivariate time series analysis would be useful for chipping in to deposit pricing and cash balance forecasting work.
- SQL programming expertise, as the senior manager will be encouraged to source their own data relating to deposit products directly from Schwab's data warehouse, with help from the team
- Familiarity with data visualization or business intelligence tools a plus
Back to top