Senior Internal Auditor, Broker Dealer / Asset Manager
Your Opportunity The Internal Audit Department (IAD) of The Charles Schwab Corporation provides independent and objective assessments to figure out whether all significant risks are identified and appropriately reported by management and risk functions to the Board and Executive Management, to evaluate whether risks are adequately controlled, and to challenge Executive Management to improve the efficiency of governance processes, risk management, and internal controls.
The Broker-Dealer/Asset Management enterprise team is seeking a Senior Specialist. The Broker-Dealer/Asset Management team provides internal audit coverage of the business process activities and compliance functions for Schwab's registered domestic and international broker-dealers and registered retail and institutional investment advisors. The team's scope includes audit execution and oversight for Schwab's: (i) client-facing activities supporting retail investors and independent investment advisors on Schwab's platform and their clients; (ii) client product solutions and market expertise; (iii) portfolio advisory services and research; (iv) asset management functions; (v) corporate client services, including stock plan services, retirement plan services, and compliance and employee trade monitoring solutions; and (vi) middle and back office operational functions.
Reporting to a Managing Director in the Broker-Dealer/Asset Management enterprise team, the Senior Specialist will have responsibility for assisting in the for the independent and objective assurance activity designed to improve the organization's operations and compliance with key regulations by evaluating and improving the efficiency of risk management, control, and governance processes.
What you're good at
- Audit Execution: Participate in the planning and execution of internal audit assignments, ensuring work is performed in accordance with IIA standards and IAD policies and procedures. Responsibilities will include: scheduling and participation in audit meetings; participation in scoping discussions; drafting of audit deliverables; design and execution of testing; and completion and review of work papers. Additionally, assist in the tracking of team operations including audit status, issue status, and budgets.
- Issues Identification: Based on the results of audit testing, identify and draft audit observations for review by the Internal Audit Manager/Senior Manager (and above levels) and subsequent debriefing with the key partners (typically VP-level and below).
- Issue Management and Validation: Conduct validation testing of the audit issue action plans completed by the business.
- Risk Assessment: Under the direct supervision of IAD Management, participate in the annual Risk Assessment process, including scheduling and participation in meetings with partners, and the scoring and documentation of risk ratings.
- Coaching: Provide support, mentoring, and feedback to audit team members throughout the audit. Provide assistance with onboarding and ongoing support to new team members.
- Administration/Training: Completion of firm-wide and departmental administration and training requirements.
- Other Initiatives/Special Projects: As needed, assist with special projects related to business operational improvement or internal team needs.
What you have
- 3 - 5+ years of financial services-related audit experience with growing responsibility. Broker Dealer/Asset Management experience specific to internal audit and/or similar Big 4 accounting or regulatory experience a plus.
- Demonstrated experience performing internal audits amongst a complex operational and regulatory environment.
- Ability to work as a member of a project team and cultivate a strong working relationship with external co-sourcing providers and internal lines of businesses.
- CPA, CIA, CISA strongly preferred. Other relevant certifications will be considered.
- Understanding of risks and internal controls and the ability to evaluate and figure out adequacy and efficiency of controls.
- Stays current on industry and regulatory issues and standard methodologies for AML; imparts this knowledge to the team and the auditees.
- Excellent analytical skills, including the ability to anticipate issues and to design appropriate solutions.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with a shown ability to articulate effectively and authoritatively.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Ability to travel 15-20%
Back to top