Principal Architect, DevOps
- Westlake, TX
Your Opportunity The Schwab Cloud and Infrastructure Architecture team is looking for a seasoned and driven DevOps Principal. Working across business and technology domains, this technology principal level role will drive DevOps strategy and direction across the organization as the lead from the Office of the CTO working in close collaboration with architects across Schwab's Technology Services organization.
The Principal role at Schwab is reserved for a small number of positions requiring the most senior technology expertise, representing the best technical talent in the firm and best practices in the industry. Principals form a community of technology leadership at Schwab and are critically influential in driving technology strategy across the entire enterprise.
This role reports up to the Office of the CTO, chartered to establish technology governance, standards, practices and strategy for the entire firm, enabling thousands of technologists to better serve the millions of Schwab clients and trillions of dollars in client assets.
Specific goals will include:
- Act as a cultural leader and champion of DevOps strategies and practices at Schwab
- Create and enforce DevOps standards and patterns to enable teams to deliver expected outcomes of DevOps operating model at scale
- Provide expertise on tooling and methodologies to enable DevOps operating model to enable and enhance hundreds of delivery teams across the firm."
- Baseline current DevOps capabilities within Schwab and provide roadmap targets for near term and future state DevOps adoption
- Provide guidance on adoption of modern application paradigms including containers, microservices and event streaming
- Consulting, education and mentoring architects and leaders across the firm in DevOps practices
What you are good at
- Form a center of excellence for DevOps practices at Schwab in collaboration with architects across Schwab's Technology Services organization
- Capture, design and communicate enterprise DevOps architecture patterns and practices at the contextual, conceptual and logical levels
- Design DevOps tooling and platforms and enable implementation in application deployment and infrastructure management across public, private and hybrid cloud environments
- Create and maintain a core set of DevOps architecture patterns and roadmaps in alignment with core business capabilities, business processes and IT roadmaps.
- Collaborate with business and IT stakeholders to define iterative transitional and target state DevOps practices.
- Develop and maintain strong awareness and acumen of Schwab's business domains and financial industry standards.
- Plan and lead architecture initiatives across IT and business organizations and teams.
- Define and establish technical strategy, standards, and guidelines in the DevOps practice domain
- Work with key partners to deliver DevOps related policies, standards and procedures for secure administration, privileged access, automated deployment and segregation of duties
- Participate in central architecture review boards, develop, review, and approve DevOps architecture patterns and designs
- Mentor and lead application and infrastructure architects, engineering, and operations resources across the firm in adopting DevOps practices
What you have
- 10+ years of experience in application hosting or application development architecture and design, with positions of increasing scope and complexity in enterprise scale (5k+ associates), highly-regulated industries (e.g. finance, insurance, health care, government).
- 5+ years of experience leading DevOps adoption efforts
- 5+ years of software development experience
- Understanding and practice experience of industry standard application development and infrastructure management practices
- Enterprise-wide awareness of the business domains in relation to core business processes, capabilities, and enabling technology platforms
- Familiarity with and active engagement in application development, DevOps, integration and application architecture, data center and systems architecture and design and business capability modelling
- The ability to apply architectural principles for DevOps to program and project activities and to govern based on established principles
- Experience in successfully planning and leading architectural initiatives across IT and business organizations and teams
- Exceptional communication skills and the ability to communicate and collaborate appropriately at all levels of the organization; this includes written and verbal communications as well as visualizations
- Ability to work effectively at all levels of an organization with the ability to influence others, inspire others and to lead decisions that provide clear positive results to the company
- Proven history of delivery in an Agile environment
- Substantial senior level executive presence
- Strong design analysis and problem-solving abilities, working in close collaboration with subject matter experts from varying technology and business disciplines.
- Experience in financial, investment management and securities markets preferred
Back to top