Managing Director, Third-Party Strategic Programs
- Lone Tree, CO
Your Opportunity Our team is responsible for managing our 3rd party platforms (focused primarily on Mutual Funds and ETFs) - providing a positive experience for the Schwab clients that invest in these products, while growing a revenue stream which is vital to Schwab's overall financial health. To do this, we maintain a robust product offering (e.g. by adding new funds or resources to the platform), develop new tools and research for clients, build relationships with third-party asset managers ("providers"), and work effectively with outside firms to create a positive experience for investors in MFs and ETFs.
What you are good at
Reporting into the Vice President, MF, ETF & 529 Platform Management, the MD of Third-Party Provider Strategy will have the opportunity to lead the team that directly manages the relationships and contractual agreements with third-party MF & ETF asset managers. This team is responsible not only for managing agreements with those external asset managers, but also for positioning the MF & ETF product platforms appropriately with various internal client and partner teams as well.
The successful candidate must be energetic and enthusiastic about people leadership, strategy, analytics, negotiations, and financial services. They will be results-oriented and able to successfully deliver on strategic initiatives and complex negotiations through the leadership of their team. Critical responsibilities include:
- Design and lead the implementation of critical strategic changes for platform, particularly as it relates to our interactions and agreements with third-party asset managers.
- Lead the critical and complex negotiations with those third-party providers by developing a deep understanding of their businesses, fostering relationships with key contacts, analyzing their business metrics and creating strategic roadmaps for engagement.
- Work closely with internal and external partners to evolve the structure of our agreements with third-party providers, ensuring both an industry-leading MF & ETF offering for Schwab's clients, as well as economic arrangements that are aligned with our business strategy.
- Manage internal and external executive communications related to our third-party provider strategy and the management of the platform.
- Govern the opportunities that third-party providers in terms of interacting with Schwab's clients and field teams.
What you have
- An influential leader who inspires and motivates teams and is able to create an innovative vision for the future with the ability to take a highly disciplined and creative approach in resource allocation.
- Significant work experience in consulting, investment banking, corporate development and/or internal strategy function; prior experience in financial services preferred.
- Proactively confronts challenges and is able to make tough choices while confidently communicating difficult messages with transparency and candor.
- Executive level communication skills, comfort creating and delivering presentations to varying audiences, including clients, business partners, and senior executives.
- Knowledge of the competitive landscape in the financial services industry, especially as it relates to asset management and related product solutions especially mutual funds, ETFs, and managed accounts.
- Results oriented leader who takes the initiative and effectively distills strategy, analytics, and varied sets of input to drive to decisions and follow through with strategic, practical execution.
- Courageous leader who develops followership and builds high performing, diverse, cross functional teams of both direct and indirect members rallied around the strategy.
- High degree of comfort dealing with ambiguity; comfort in a dynamic and fast-moving work environment.
- Excellent project management skills, including the ability to create actionable project plans that will deliver progress on complex and challenging objectives.
- Bachelor's degree; MBA and/or equivalent post-MBA level experience preferred.
- Expert user of PowerPoint and Excel.
Back to top