Extrusion Operator I
Saint-Gobain, the world leader in the habitat and construction markets, designs, manufactures and distributes building materials, providing innovative solutions to meet growing demand in emerging economies, for energy efficiency and for environmental protection. Saint-Gobain is a welcoming, solid, open-minded company that offers long-term career opportunities.
Through the responsible development of innovative and sustainable building products, CertainTeed, headquartered in Malvern, Pennsylvania, has helped shape the building products industry for more than 110 years. Founded in 1904 as General Roofing Manufacturing Company, the firm's slogan "Quality Made Certain, Satisfaction Guaranteed," quickly inspired the name CertainTeed. Today, CertainTeed® is North America’s leading brand of exterior and interior building products, including roofing, siding, fence, decking, railing, trim, insulation, gypsum and ceilings.
A subsidiary of Saint-Gobain, one of the world’s largest and oldest building products companies, CertainTeed and its affiliates have more than 5,700 employees and more than 60 manufacturing facilities throughout the United States and Canada. The group had total sales of approximately $3.3 billion in 2015. www.certainteed.com
- Responsible for ensuring the safety, quality, housekeeping, 5S and KOI performance for the assigned line or area as directed by the Supervisor or Shift Lead
- Perform start-up and set-up duties, ensuring lines are ready for production
- Perform color and product changes according to plant procedures
- Ensure all hoppers are filled with correct material and that lines are set up for efficient production
- Performs all quality tests per required frequency and adheres to the Buffalo plant quality standards
- Perform adjustments to extrusion equipment and tooling to maintain quality specifications, clean and assemble tooling as needed, perform adjustments to line
- Setup and monitor downstream equipment (where applicable): puller, saw, router, strapper, wrapper, capping machine, boxing area, vacuum lift, sawzall guard
- Complete work requests for maintenance repairs on the extrusion line
- Process line paperwork, checklists, shift management, P&E sheets
- Ensure that product is packaged according to established specifications.
- Demonstrates good communication skills to Packer, B Operator, Lead, and Supervisor
- Relieve packers for breaks
- Perform housekeeping and 5S duties
- Assist other operators and packers with line issues
- Basic troubleshooting of equipment and process issues. Seek assistance from others as needed.
- Performing STOP safety audits and entering data in Auditmatic (STOP Database).
- Perform other tasks as requested by the Supervisor.
- High School Graduate or GED
- Must be able to read, write, and perform basic math.
- Must have basic computer skills
- Communicate effectively with supervisor and co-workers
- Completion of extruder operator training program
- Completed one year of service as an Extruder Operator Trainee
- Completed Paulsen Extrusion Training
- Ability to operate all 14 extrusion lines
- Fork truck license required
- Physical requirements of this position may include standing and walking for the duration of the shift, bending, pushing, pulling, torqueing, lifting up to 25 pounds independently, and climbing stairs
- Will be working around hot equipment and working with PVC compound
- Must be able to handle emergency burn situations. May require wear and use of SCBA equipment.
- May be asked and must be available to work other shifts
- May be asked to work in other departments as determined by business demands
- Must be willing to participate in plant improvement projects and participate in WCM
- Wear required PPE.
- Follow all Company Policies.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/Disabled/Veteran
Back to top