Database Developer, ETL
CEB (NYSE: CEB) is the leading member-based advisory company. By combining the best practices of thousands of member companies with our advanced research methodologies and human capital analytics, we equip senior leaders and their teams with insight and actionable solutions to transform operations. This distinctive approach, pioneered by CEB, enables executives to harness peer perspectives and tap into breakthrough innovation without costly consulting or reinvention. The CEB member network includes more than 16,000 executives and the majority of top companies globally.
The Database Developer, ETL (Software Engineer) will focus on mid-size to large projects employing a working knowledge of SDLC, SCRUM, and Agile methodologies. The developer, working in concert with project management leadership, will be responsible for key interactions with IT Business Partners and Stakeholders. Additionally, the Sr. Database Developer will play a key role in requirements gathering, project documentation, application developments tasks and the translation of requirements for project teams both foreign and domestic. Further, the Sr. Database Developer will be required to support the product release lifecycle. All development team members have a responsibility to maintain prescribed standards throughout the project lifecycle. The IT Sr. Database Developer reports to the IT Business Intelligence Director in Corporate IT department.
- Understand current-state data schema and data model and define future-state data schema
- Define data normalization and schema integration as required by the project
- Capture & document the logical and conceptual data model for the project
- Determine the appropriate data flow model among primary and ancillary data stores
- Define & document meta-data, data lineage and data dictionaries across the data stores
- Design and document data flow diagrams, schema and data mapping/cross-walks across the data stores
- Define data quality and data validation specifications & standards and data cleansing/data scrubbing techniques to ensure consistency amongst data sets
- Define data transformation, ETL and ELT requirements for Source, Target Databases for Extraction, Transformation and Loading (ETL)
- Perform data analysis and normalization to resolve requirement conflicts and gaps between various data stores and business entities create entity relationship and multidimensional data models, reports and diagrams
- Define principles of Data ware housing using Fact Tables, Dimension Tables, star schema modeling and snowflake schema modeling, slowly changing dimensions, foreign key concepts, referential integrity
- Define conceptual, physical and logical data models (3NF) using various Data modeling tools like Erwin, MS Visio, Power Designer
- Translates business requirements into DDL scripts for ETL development to acquire the appropriate source data for the warehouse
- Define technical metadata and conduct data model reviews with project team members
- Experience in interacting with business analysts and developers to analyze the user requirements, functional specifications and system specifications
- Perform data profiling and data analysis on the source systems; complete data mappings from source to destination
- Perform Data Base Optimization/query optimization to address performance bottle necks
- Collaborates with members of the product, revenue, research, and central support communities to collect and research specific member issues related to product properties in production
- Interacts with members of the business/IT community to understand future business requirements and strategies and document reporting requirements
- Interface with system architects, designers, and developers to ensure a thorough understanding of functions, technical, and performance requirements
- Review/analyze test case results to ensure functionality meets documented specifications
- Assist in the execution/analysis of integration, user acceptance, and performance testing
- Maintain prescribed processes and accepted templates/methods of documentation for all allocated projects
- Excellent technical, organizational and planning skills, excellent communication, and problem solving skills
- Participate in the identification and documentation of “as is” and “to be” products within the project lifecycle
- Hands on experience with schema design and definition in a data warehouse environment
- Hands on experience with ETL routines for Source, Target Databases for Extraction, Transformation and Loading
- Knowledge of Business Intelligence and Reporting platforms preferred by not required
- Proficiency in Database SQL query development and data analysis
- Building and maintaining ETL workflows
- Building and maintaining complex SQL queries for data analysis and data extract
- Building and maintaining complex scripts and automation components
- Ability to work with onshore and offshore development teams
- Very good listening and interpretation skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to lead tasks and contribute to multiple projects concurrently
- Ability to collaborate with members of the client community as well as IT staff
- Critical thinking with excellent judgment and initiative
- Self-motivator with great attention to detail and follow through
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Visio
- Proven analytical skills
- Ability to work independently and in a team setting
- Ability to excel in a fast paced environment
Education and Experience:
- Minimum 8 years of years IT work experience focused on Data Warehouse and/or Business Intelligence applications.
- Understanding of Data Warehouse concepts (Kimball methodology for developing dimensional data models).
- Experience with a BI platform such a Business Objects and Microstrategy (preferred)
- 5 years of demonstrated ability to develop/enhance/maintain complex databases
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server 2008 (or higher versions).
- Experience with SSIS required
- Experience with T-SQL to develop Stored Procedures, Functions and Triggers.
- Experience with debugging reports/ SQL code.
- Experience with change management, software application testing and troubleshooting coordination, routine maintenance, and data management.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a business or technical/engineering discipline.
Compensation and Benefits Package
- Competitive base salary with opportunities for advancement.
- Full benefit package including medical, dental, vision, 401K, paid time off (PTO), employee stock purchase plan, flexible spending, and tuition assistance.
For more information on other exciting opportunities, please visit our Careers page.
CEB is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top