CPS Writing Coach
CEB (NYSE: CEB) is a best practice insight and technology company. In partnership with leading organizations around the globe, we develop innovative solutions to drive corporate performance. CEB equips leaders at more than 10,000 companies with the intelligence to effectively manage talent, customers, and operations. CEB is a trusted partner to 90% of the Fortune 500, nearly 75% of the Dow Jones Asian Titans, and more than 85% of the FTSE 100.
The Writing Coach role meets with CEB India staff to evaluate their writing abilities and coach them toward creating succinct, engaging, and grammatically correct publications and presentations (including research studies, marketing materials, on-screen presentations, web content, e-mails, and e-learning modules). The Coach evaluates staff skills in order to create and present 1-1 training curriculum and monthly group training curriculum (with support from Editorial Manager and Learning & Development, US and India). Subjects of expertise include writing, grammar, style, and voice. Additional responsibilities may include other writing assessment duties, as assigned.
Training and Coaching
- Assess and monitor the writing and grammar training needs of staff, evaluating staff on initial meeting and analyzing their progress across subsequent meetings. Work with each participant to create a coaching plan. Provide clear, effective, timely responses to in-the-moment inquiries.
- Research, create, and facilitate the appropriate training for staff via monthly classroom sessions and ongoing 1-1 coaching sessions. Lead training on editing, self-proofing, and writing in CEB voice.
- Provide overall guidance on quality of writing, ensuring messages are concise and cogent. Analyze training needs across staff and at individual levels to identify gaps between current and desired performance.
- Understand, coach, and create training for writing in CEB voice for specific styles, such as marketing, web, mobile, and other styles as trends demand.
- Gracefully yet pointedly deliver writing feedback to all levels of research staff, helping them noticeably improve their writing quality.
- Perform expert rewrites. Act as ultimate staff resource on style, writing, grammar, punctuation, composition, and editing questions. Understand the founding principles of writing for a business audience and teach them to others.
- Research, create, and deploy the most effective writing checklists, takeaways, and guidelines to improve writing quality and knowledge. Maintain a database for easy staff access.
Project Management and Analysis
- Develop and maintain practice and overall reports each month that highlight areas for improvement,
average session scores, participation, and score breakdowns by error type.
- Meet monthly with practice leads to discuss the respective practice’s writing challenges and suggest next steps. Partner with practice leads and L&D lead to devise strategies for staff participation and optimum learning.
- Able to work with limited supervision to lead, guide, and coordinate others across the India office.
- Ensure consistent, high-quality service by developing and maintaining dedicated, strong relationships with clients. Negotiate with clients on timelines and project task specifications.
- Assess program usage and strategize how to increase participation if necessary. Create and deploy communication strategy (in-person meetings, e-mails, office townhall, etc.) to boost staff understanding of best ways to take advantage of coaching.
- Participate in the ongoing review and evaluation of the writing center.
- Track sessions and survey responses through Pathfinder and other related duties.
- Demonstrated expert written and verbal English and communication skills, including rewriting, composition, grammar, vocabulary, editing, spelling, and punctuation
- Passion for supporting and assisting writers at all levels (proficient to expert) of writing proficiency
- Ability to communicate effectively on an individual and organizational level
- Excellent client relationship and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to work outside the strict job description parameters, thinking creatively about how to provide the highest level of service
- Sense of curiosity about potential improvements and big-picture plans for the writing center
- Positive, solution-oriented approach to problems
- Ability to proactively identify inflexible or shifting deadlines and provide solutions under pressure
- Self-motivated and confident with an ability to take initiative
- Conversant with delivery models and modes of training most effective for writing coaching
- Strong work ethic; excellent time management and multi-tasking abilities
- Excellent MS Office and computer skills
- Master’s degree in English, Communications, or a related field strongly preferred
- Bachelor’s degree in English, Communications, or a related field required
- If bachelor’s degree, minimum 2 years’ internal CEB experience editing and coaching writing required
- Experience in coaching writers in a fast-paced, complex environment
- Experience in web writing and writing marketing collateral
- Project and expectation management experience
Back to top