Summer 2017 Masters Business Intelligence Intern
CBS Interactive, a division of CBS Corporation, is the premier online content network for information and entertainment. With more than 280 million people visiting its properties each month, CBS Interactive is a top Web property globally. Its portfolio of leading brands, which include CNET, CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBSSports.com, GameSpot, TV.com, TVGuide.com and Last.fm, span popular categories like technology, entertainment, sports, news and gaming.
The Masters Business Intelligence Intern will be a part of a group of engaged professionals, who are passionate about problem-solving, ‘telling the story’ with data, and uncovering new insights that drive high impact business and product decisions. The intern will conduct and build in-depth analyses, statistical computations, and visualizations in support of one (or more) high impact projects for CBS Entertainment and News groups. Products and properties included within these groups include CBS.com, CBSNews.com, CBS All Access, CBSN, and Audience Network.
Perform detailed analyses to help deepen understanding of customer activity across all digital platforms including web, mobile, connected devices, and video subscription services. Techniques may include statistical analyses, mathematical models (conversions, churn, and retention), experiments (A/B testing), optimization, data mining, predictive analytics, data investigation, visualization, and reporting.
Projects may include:
- Build reports and dashboard to show the health of key business metrics across platforms and various groups, including product management, executives, marketing, editorial, or sales
- Audience segmentation and content discovery to understand factors for why and how people come and watch our videos
- Video subscription retention and acquisition optimization
- Understand the value of a user (LTV exercise)
- Campaign and ad effectiveness analysis
- Impact of social media in content analytics
- The intern would focus on and be exposed to Tableau, Teradata, Hadoop, R and various web and social analytics platforms
- Time commitment: full-time, 40 hours per week during our regular office hours (Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 5:30 pm) but times may vary per team
- This is a paid internship and can also be for university credit if it meets your university’s guidelines
- Working towards a Master’s degree in Math, Statistics, Economics, Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, or equivalent quantitative field
- Experience querying large, complex, and raw data sets in Teradata/Hive/Hadoop databases (or similar environments)
- Experience with advanced SQL coding across various databases
- Experience with analytical tools supporting data analysis, reporting, and visualization (R, Omniture, Tableau, Excel)
- Excellent statistical intuition, application, and knowledge of various predictive analytics/statistical modeling
- Must be detail-oriented and focused on data accuracy
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to build strong working relationships with cross-functional teams
- Proven ability to learn quickly, work independently, and adapt to change in a fast-paced environment
- Experience in web/video analytics and subscription services highly preferred
- Experience in Python/Java is a plus
- Intern must be a student currently enrolled in an accredited college or university (Graduate Level Candidates ONLY)
- Must be at least 18 years old
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of CBS Interactive's Employees
Video Producer, Gamespot
Mary produces new releases and specific features for Gamespot’s channel within CBS Interactive. She also helps edit videos to make sure imagery and quality are consistent.
Back to top