Senior Software/Data Engineer
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse , Instagram and YouTube for an inside look into 'Life At CBSi' through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
This Senior Software/Data Engineer Role is a hybrid of a Full Stack Development Engineer with a specialization in Data Products. This person possesses a deep sense of curiosity and a passion for building smarter products and insights around data. They will work backward from analytical and experimental requirements to devise data and BI solutions. Support data-mining and develop machine learning algorithms using disparate data sources. Participate in cross-functional teams to implement data-driven plans designed to address business problems. Work closely with the Senior Management and Business Intelligence teams to provide insights, data structures, and conclusions that drive business decisions.
- Organize and Wrangle large volumes of traffic and user behaviors data from different sources to extract patterns and insight using statistics and data mining.
- Process, cleans, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Create automated anomaly detection systems and consistent tracking of its performance.
- Find answers to business questions via hands-on exploration of data sets via SQL, python, statistical analysis and communicate finding with data visualizations and or dashboards.
- Builds re-usable algorithms and models for activity and user analytics, such as user segmentation, traffic trending, analyzing user affinities (associative analysis), analysis of cross site or online/offline marketing activities, etc.
- Develops creative, design-driven, holistic dashboards by pulling data from different data sources, managing to KPIs to help manage the business, and enhance Data Structures for Analytic teams to drive their analysis and dashboards.
- Find answers to business questions via hands-on exploration of data sets via SQL, dashboards, statistical analysis, and data visualizations.
- Use algorithms and programming to efficiently go through large datasets and apply treatments, filters and conditions to the data.
- Meet with members of the Product, Engineering, Marketing and BI teams to discuss and advise on projects and implement data-driven solutions that drive the business.
- Able to break down and communicate highly complex data problems into simple, feasible solutions.
What you bring to the team:
- At a minimum, BS degree in Statistics, Engineering, Informatics, or Computer Science degree with demonstrated experience in analytics.
- Experience with full stack application development.
- Very strong grasp of classification algorithms, data analysis, and data structures.
- Perform statistical analyses using tools such as R, KXEN, Scipy with Python, Julia
- Possess good applied statistics skills, such as distributions, statistical testing, regression, etc.
- Proficiency with distributed computing and large-scale data
- Experience with common data science toolkits, such as Jupyter, NumPy, MatLab, or R.
- Experience with data management systems, both relational and NoSQL (e.g., HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB)
- Have an understanding of machine learning techniques and algorithms, such as k-NN, Naive Bayes, SVM, Decision Forests, k means clustering
- Strong query skills for BigQuery, PostgreSQL, MySQL and PIG
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as MongoDB, Cassandra, HBase.
- Proficient in Python.
- Experience with a Python web framework such as Django or Flask.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to communicate technical concepts to non-technical audiences, as well as translating business requirements into Data Solutions
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of CBS Interactive's Employees
Associate Editor, Gamespot
As an associate editor, Kallie works on various content, including reviews and previews, and produces features, writes news, and appears on camera and livestreams relating to games and the gaming industry.
Back to top