Senior Director, Association Marketing and Management - MaxPreps
CBS Interactive is a premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the industry. Our websites dive deep into the things that people care about: business, entertainment, games, news, sports and technology. With more than 290 million unique visitors each month, CBS Interactive is a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks.
- Execute the brand strategy through the development, maintenance and extension of relationships with State High School Governing Bodies (SHSGB), and National Sport Governing Bodies (NGB).
- Develop and maintain personal relationships with senior leaders at all state high school associations
- Leverage such relationships for the benefit of MaxPreps by:
- Entering contractual relationships that extend MaxPreps business interests in each state
- Manage relationships to ensure MaxPreps obtains the intended benefits
- Develop and maintain personal relationships with National Sports governing bodies (i.e. USAFootball) and seek to make MaxPreps a component of the organizations outreach to high school sports.
- Develop arrangements whereby organizations (as described above) become dependent on MaxPreps products or data to function. Dependency is intended to lock MaxPreps favorable position into long-term competitive advantage.
- Grow “data density” as a result of developing and managing a working relationship governing body.
- Monitor contract outcomes and governing body metrics concerning:
- content contributions from “official” users such as coaches and athletic directors
- audience growth results
- revenue results (based upon RPM data provided by the Senior Director, Business Analysis
- Monitor and report on competition. Act aggressively to counter direct competition at SHSGBs and NGBs
- Develop and nurture beneficial relationship with the National Federation of High School Associations (NHFS)
- Maintain and leverage existing relationship with NFHS Network for the benefit of MaxPreps
- Coordinate with Product Management on getting necessary product fixes and innovations into the Product Development queue
- Negotiate contracts with organizations (described above) in collaboration with the General Manager, CBS Sports Digital’s Business Development team, and CBS Sports Digital’s legal team.
- Be the lead advocate for Touchdowns Against Cancer both in the market, and internally leading to dramatically increased charitable results and improved brand-positioning as a result of our good works leadership in the high school space.
- Advise senior management on emerging trends, and issues facing the high school sports eco-system
- Study the potential for collaboration with individual states around co-marketing and incremental revenue opportunities.
- Seek tactics that will, over time, reduce the financial costs of both existing and new partnerships with SHSGBs.
An energetic, motivated individual with deep high school sports and high school sports governance experience. Unafraid to have hard conversations with association partners and internally. A strong advocate for traditional high school sports, but an innovator with respect to technology and technology solutions to advance the high school sports eco-system, and MaxPreps comprehensive business interests inside that eco-system. Must have a passion for high school sports as an important socializing institution for young Americans, that the institution resides inside an education institution, and recognize the nuanced differences between high school sports and “big time” sports.
Role requires previous leadership inside the high school sports eco-system. Pre-existing relationships with state leadership is a plus. Knowledge of publishing and other internet-based delivery of content to users a major plus.
Authoritative and demanding personality, who can drive results without critically alienating peers, mission critical personnel or contract partners.
Substantial travel will be required. Anticipate, on average, two multi-night out of town trips per month to visit with State partners, prospective partners, and attend conferences and events. As travel is required, position does not necessarily need to be located at Cameron Park, provided candidate lives in an airline hub metro area.
- Direct the activity of the direct reports; determine effectiveness and adjust staff as needed within the confines of CBS policy and MaxPreps financial budget
- Manage the day-to-day relationships of the company to SHSGBs and NGBs
- Manage contract negotiations and contract compliance with potential and current partners
- Travel as needed on business to develop, manage and maintain relationships
- Conditional veto authority on direct MaxPreps messaging or advertising based upon consideration of SHSGB sensitivities
- Access to tools and people needed to obtain the expected results:
- Existing contracts with 22-state high school governing bodies and six national sport governing bodies
- Existing contract with NFHSNetwork
- Use of analytic tools, and as needed ad hoc reports to be supplied by the Senior Director, Business Analysis
- Weekly participation in MaxPreps Senior Management Council
- Weekly participation in CBS Sports Digital’s Contract’s Review meeting
- Direct Reports:
- Three existing field managers
- One prospective field manager
- Director, Programming
- Director, Member Networks
- Senior Director, Business Analysis – John Stockett
- Senior Manager, Operations and Production – Megan Nelson
- Vice President, CBSSports Business Development – Adam London
- Vice President, CBSSports Legal – Thom Knapp
- Vice President and General Manager, MaxPreps – Andy Beal
Must successfully pass a background check
In addition, CBS will be guided by applicable federal, state and local laws when considering for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of CBS Interactive's Employees
Video Producer, Gamespot
Mary produces new releases and specific features for Gamespot’s channel within CBS Interactive. She also helps edit videos to make sure imagery and quality are consistent.
Back to top