Director of Data Technology - CBS Sports.com
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: Fort Lauderdale, FL, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
CBSSports.com provides premium online and mobile content to the connected sports fan, including live and on-demand video, in-depth analysis, breaking news, and scores and statistics across high school, college, and pro sports. CBSSports.com is part of CBS Interactive's portfolio of multi-platform brands, which includes premier Fantasy offerings, high school sports leader MaxPreps, 247Sports, Scout and CBS Interactive Advanced
Media producing more than 130 official collegiate athletic sites.
We are seeking a dynamic Director of Data Technology to define, lead, mentor and manage high performing software engineering teams. This role will drive execution of the technical data and scoring strategy & infrastructure for the CBS Sports Digital Brands. As a key leader, you'll drive the strategy, technical decisions, architecture, team structure, engineering processes and most importantly culture, elevating our capability to provide customers with the best products and content for the CBS Sports Digital Brands.
- Defining the strategy for effective data management
- Working with business stakeholders to define their data requirements
- Formulating techniques for quality data collection to ensure efficiency, accuracy and legitimacy of data
- Implementing procedures for secure data handling
- Implementing secure API tiers for data sharing within internal and external partner engineering teams
- Monitoring and evaluating the performance of the data systems and implementing enhancements
- Supporting CBS Sports Digital Brand properties in their use and transitions to the data and scoring systems
- Designing, creating and maintaining the central repository for all of the sports source data
- Designing, creating and maintaining the cloud based "next generation' of our live scoring infrastructure
- Working closely with the CBS Sports Digital team of technical directors to create data mashups that power and drive different sports business units
- Organizing various data operations and feeds in order to provide effective source data for CBS Sports Digital businesses to analyze and implement appropriately
- Overseeing the technical development of scoring data entry tools used by over 1500 colleges to input scoring data including managing the relationships with 3rd party vendors and tools used as part of this function
What you bring to the team:
- Led a team of developers building real time data products powering web, OTT and native mobile applications
- Provided technical direction and leadership for a centralized data architecture capable of supporting multiple internal technical teams
- Built enterprise level applications in Java with Spring and Hibernate and have the technical chops to jump in when needed
- Proven experience working with MongoDB, RabbitMQ and Nodejs at an enterprise level scale
- Experience hiring great software engineers
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
You may also have--
- Led data warehousing projects where Hadoop, Scala, Kafka, Redshift or similar are used
- Been responsible for data quality and/or data governance
All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of CBS Interactive's Employees
Director, Project Management, CBS.com
Farid runs a Project Management Team comprising scrum masters, product managers, and quality assurance. He oversees each functional area and helps leaders succeed.
Back to top