Associate Writer/Editor - Guide.com
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: Burbank, CA, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
- We are looking for an entrepreneurial Associate Writer/Editor to help us build the next generation of buying guides. In this job you will research consumer products and categories from tech to fashion to home goods and everything in between. You will identify key features and the best versions of products. Then you will write simple, easy to understand product buying guides and recommendations.
- You will assign and edit content from freelancers, produce and publish stories in our CMS, track performance, and contribute to social media.
- As an ideal candidate, you are entrepreneurial, have excellent writing and editing skills, have a journalism background, and love to research and recommend products of all kinds.
- Pitch, research, report, write and publish medium- and long-form product buying guides
- Collaborate with Director of Content to assign, edit and publish buying guides by our freelance contributors
- Track content performance and optimize publishing output to meet KPIs
- Define The Guide's voice and style, making sure all writing is smart, focused and compelling
- Contribute to audience and traffic growth through social media and other marketing activities, including Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, link partnerships, and more
- Collaborate with team to come up with and execute video pieces and new formats for new kinds of content
- Select three product categories, then research, report, write and publish three buying guides
- Set up and manage our editorial calendar, team weekly reviews, and brainstorming sessions
- Become a master at our publishing system
What you bring to the team:
You have --
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism
- Previous experience researching, reporting and writing about consumer products
- Genuine love for the internet, finding great products, researching and recommending products
- Ability to digest complex unstructured information and create helpful, easy to understand recommendations and product buying guides
- Excellent writing and editing skills
- High degree of personal initiative and intellectual curiosity
- Superior organizational skills and ability to meet deadlines under pressure
You might also have --
- Familiarity with content management systems
- Photography and Photoshop experience
To apply please provide a resume and cover letter. In the cover letter please include the following
Please answer the following question in 400-500 words. How did you make a recent major purchase? How has it fulfilled your expectations?
Five published samples
Please select a category and five outstanding products in that category
All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of CBS Interactive's Employees
Director, Project Management, CBS.com
Farid runs a Project Management Team comprising scrum masters, product managers, and quality assurance. He oversees each functional area and helps leaders succeed.
Back to top