Associate Reviews Editor - CNET
CBS Business Unit: CBS Interactive
Job Type: Full-Time Staff
Job Location: New York, NY, US
CBS Interactive is the premier online content network for information and online operations of CBS Corporation as well as some of the top native digital brands in the entertainment industry. Our brands dive deep into the things people care about across entertainment, technology, news, games, business and sports. With over 1 billion users visiting our properties every quarter, we are a global top 10 web property and one of the largest premium content networks online.
Check us out on The Muse to get an inside look into #LifeAtCBSi through employee testimonials, office photos and company updates.
We give the most comprehensive, timely, and engaging technology buying advice on the planet. We work with a team of more than 80 journalists around the world to hunt down the best tech, then we tell our readers and viewers how to incorporate that tech into their lives. We live tech, and then we write and produce compelling, informative product reviews and videos.
As part of our growing editorial team, you will be responsible for reviewing products with razor wit, writing technology news, original commentary, comparison pieces, creating galleries and confidently presenting products in videos. We're looking for an independent thinker, a creative writer, and a natural storyteller who is passionate about technology and loves the idea of having that passion inform their work.
Other duties include cultivating working relationships with manufacturers, steering content through the editing and production process, securing products to review, and developing a following on CNET and on social media. On-camera experience isn't essential, but the position will require filming videos and occasional media appearances. Some travel is necessary, particularly to industry events, trade shows, and product launches where you'll be required to write news stories, shoot and appear in videos, and take photos.
- Write and pitch feature content for products in the mobile category (phones, smart watches, mobile accessories, apps and services, etc.)
- Feature content includes commentary, comparison, analysis and explainers
- Write fast turnaround news stories on any topic
- Write and pitch regular How-To content
- Write and pitch regular reviews for products in the mobile category
- Write scripts and star in videos to accompany your posts
- Write SEO-optimized and social-friendly headlines
- Maintain an active and engaging presence across major social media platforms
- Become an expert technology photographer
- Travel as necessary to industry events and trade shows (2-3 times per year but mainly local travel).
What you bring to the team:
You have --
- At least 2 years of experience writing about consumer technology. (mobile technology a plus)
- BA/BS or equivalent experience etc.
- Strong writing skills.
- Demonstrated, passionate interest in consumer technology.
- Experience writing under tight deadlines.
- Familiarity promoting online content on social media platforms such as Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You might also have--
- Photography and video experience in front of the camera with basic knowledge of shooting/editing videos/photos.
- A detail-oriented mind, are critically-minded and naturally curious.
All candidates must successfully complete a background check prior to starting employment at CBS Interactive. CBS Interactive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, or status as a veteran. CBS Interactive complies with applicable state and local laws governing non-discrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled
Meet Some of CBS Interactive's Employees
Director, Project Management, CBS.com
Farid runs a Project Management Team comprising scrum masters, product managers, and quality assurance. He oversees each functional area and helps leaders succeed.
Back to top