Director of Demand Generation
The Role You'll Play:
As a Demand Generation professional it’s rare to walk into an organization who generates tens of thousands of inbound leads a month, organically!
Thanks to our world class research, tech’s biggest and most popular newsletter (575,000+ subscribers and growing by thousands weekly), and lots of media coverage of our data (3000+ press citations in the last 12 months), CB Insights attracts millions of visitors per year.
We, of course, know we can do better at the top of the funnel. We can always do better.
There is also an obscene amount of opportunity for us to do better mid-funnel. Whether it’s improving lead response time, experimenting with segmented workflows or nurturing leads with better mid / bottom funnel content, there are countless possibilities to improve the marketing-to-sales handoff.
And that’s where you, our Director of Demand Generation, come in.
About the Marketing Team:
It’s an exciting time to join the Marketing team at CB Insights. As the company continues to grow, we are at the forefront of helping the broader organization scale up. You’ll be collaborating with different teams to build processes from scratch, launch campaigns, and experiment with new initiatives. Plus, you’ll be joined by the tight-knit marketing team, which truly resembles the 4H’s of CB Insights -- Helpful, Hungry, Happy, and Humble -- and bonds over our shared love of GIFs, Game of Thrones, and much more.
Your Main Tasks:
We are looking for someone to lead Demand Gen at CB Insights. This person will be working directly for our VP of Marketing.
- Leading a team of professionals to successfully develop a comprehensive, full-funnel demand generation strategy
- Designing and executing (or overseeing execution of) end-to-end marketing campaigns,
- Building repeatable marketing playbooks and systems that can be measured, constantly iterated and scaled
- Own all Marketing metrics - Measurement is one part but the ability to interpret the metrics into an actionable plan is key
- Own all Paid and Earned media including SEM and paid Social channels
- Implement SEO strategies to increase qualified organic search
- Defining goals for your team and manage against measurable indicators
- Developing collaborative partnerships across the organization to identify, launch and refine demand generation strategies. This will include working with sales, engineering, IU (intelligence unit, aka research) sales, customer success and product
- Getting to the root of issues and then intelligently implementing tools and technologies to get the job done (technology is not a panacea for problems so a deep understanding of the core challenges and constraints is critical)
- Being a magnet for talent that can attract, hire and develop exceptional talent as we build a world-class demand generation capability set a tone of high standards, customer obsession, disciplined decision making and as someone who just gets stuff done.
You will be successful here if you:
- Move fast - We are a challenger brand. Speed is a weapon. We believe in testing hypotheses quickly, getting data to prove/disprove the hypothesis and then scaling up the winning ideas. Being tenacious and relentlessly resourceful is key.
- Magnet for talent - You must have managerial experience including building amazing teams and leading and developing teams with diverse skill sets
- Humble - We have developed strong antibodies to arrogance or hints of arrogance
- Helpful - This role will require building strong partnerships throughout CBI and with clients. Being a helpful colleague is important.
- High IQ - You will be developing and analyzing a number of demand generation strategies and tactics. You should be able to deal with ambiguity, understand ideas and data quickly and prioritize effectively. We are swimming in ideas, but they are not all created equally or worth pursuing and so knowing how to separate the good from the bad is critical so we are focused on the best strategies.
- Great communicator - Clarity of thought and disciplined, deliberate decision making are critical. You should be able to synthesize information quickly and cogently present via the appropriate medium (presentation, phone, blog post, etc).
- Systems thinking - Should think about building and refining systems and processes that make goal attainment a byproduct of the system.
- Sweat the details - Should be able to think strategically and put a plan together but also get in the weeds when necessary on day-to-day execution.
- Creative and competitive - Our goal is not to blindly follow best practices but to be the best practice. We should of course borrow good ideas from others, but blindly doing what every other technology company does is a recipe for mediocrity. We need someone who can take ideas and figure out how to customize them to our situation in a way that creates maximum value for CBI and helps us, them and their team win.
- High standards - This one doesn’t require much explanation.
What’s CB Insights All About:
The CB Insights platform is the smartest way to explore and exploit emerging technologies. We help the world’s leading companies accelerate their digital strategy and transformation with data, not opinion. Our Emerging Technology Insights Platform fuses machine and human intelligence to help you discover and manage your response to emerging technology startups and markets.
What you bring to the table:
As a leader:
- 5+ years of demand generation leadership experience at a fast-growing technology, market research or advisory firm
- Clear, fast and hard earned career progression
- Track record leading and developing high performance teams
- Impeccable ability to recruit top-tier talent via traditional channels as well as creative ones. Be a magnet for talent.
As a demand generation marketer:
- Expertise in multi-stage demand gen funnels and related technologies including marketing automation (e.g. Hubspot, Marketo) and CRM (e.g. Salesforce)
- Experience working with sales teams to tangibly improve mid-funnel metrics
- Understanding and experience selling SaaS products with moderate to high price tags into enterprises ($50-$250k per annum)
- Proficiency across multiple acquisition channels, including but not limited to organic, paid and referral
- SEO / SEM expertise
- Deep interest in the data underlying the funnel and ability to nerd out on the data so we can do things like (1) track cost of customer acquisition (CAC) at the marketing campaign level or (2) product action-oriented, data-driven reporting (and not dashboards nobody will look at)
We know that diversity makes for the best problem-solving and creative thinking. We are dedicated to adding new perspectives to the team and encourage everyone to apply if your experience is close to what we are looking for.
Perks and Benefits:
- Subsidized health, dental, and vision insurance
- 401k with up to 4% match
- $1,000 yearly continuing education stipend
- Daily lunch stipend
Happy, Helpful, Humble, and Hungry: Check out more about our company culture here.
Equal Opportunity Employer: CB Insights is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
If you know someone who'd be perfect for the role,
submit here and you'll be eligible for $5,000!
Back to top