VP, Software Engineering (CA)
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. It’s our aim to encourage global collaboration and innovation while supporting and developing our talented workforce. CA Technologies empowers its employees to drive success for both the business and themselves.
VP, Software Engineering (CA)
A servant leader who guides, coaches, and mentors managers and teams representing the Software Engineering function for a major product line, which may include multiple Release Trains and Value Streams, towards high performance. This role is responsible for providing Software Engineering vision and leadership to an organization.
- Communicate CA Technologies vision and translate our competitive strategy into goals for a major part of the organization.
- Ensure change initiatives are planned and executed in alignment with the desired business outcomes.
- Be accountable for increasing employee engagement in providing feedback on the team, organization and company via employee opinion surveys and other formal and informal channels:
- Define and evaluate organizational performance by establishing and measuring goals against business requirements to support execution of organizational strategy.
- Develop organizational capacity through staffing, budget/compensation planning, skills development, and acquisition of required tools and technologies
- Support continuous improvement of Software Engineering capability
- Stay abreast of and share industry/technology trends relevant to the Software Engineering discipline.
- Lead efforts to identify, implement and adopt new tools, practices and procedures that drive Software Engineering efficiency across the organization.
- Communicate scope of authority among subordinates regarding policies, expenditures, and personnel actions.
- Ensure staff understand and adhere to corporate policies and procedures.
- Represent CA in industry groups and events to create internal and external awareness of functional solutions.
- Represent company in relations with major customers, suppliers, bankers, government agencies and both channel and alliance partners.
- Meet regularly with employees one-on-one for Pulse Conversations and coaching.
- Coach Managers on the role of the Functional Manager within an Agile organization.
- Support employees in setting and attaining professional and development goals.
- Ensure the resources, including time and budget, are available to enable employees to adopt a culture of continuous learning and development.
- Live the principles behind the Agile Manifesto in all interactions and equip the team to do the same.
- Establish and lead programs aimed at increasing levels of employee engagement and satisfaction.
- Lead efforts to increase innovation across the organization.
- Be available to provide Software Engineering advice/assistance as needed.
- Be present, support, and guide the team during all relevant Agile processes and practices.
- Participate in Release Management alongside other key Business Owners with an eye to scope management, quality, deployment options, release, and market consideration.
- May support the Program Portfolio Management team to develop the portfolio vision and allocate resources to deliver on that vision.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or global equivalent in a related field.
Typically 15 or more years of experience in software development and management experience in a large software company. Proven track record of leading Agile development projects and delivering whole products or product lines to market across the entire lifecycle.
Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrate high personal integrity and ability to build trust within an organization.
- Ability to work without direction.
- Demonstrate expertise in a variety of the field’s concepts, practices, and procedures.
- Strong business skills.
- Strong ability to motivate and inspire team members to deliver on commitments.
- Excellent instructing, coaching and mentoring skills to improve performance and employee development.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for both individuals and large groups; ability to clearly communicate vision and strategy and inspire, influence and motivate teams toward a common goal.
- Willingness to take calculated risks, and to support risk taking in others.
- Strong, decisive leadership skills; proven ability to make difficult decisions and to own the outcomes.
- Comfortable leading an Agile organization; expert in Agile methodologies and Agile best practices.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top