Technical Writer ( Principal Infomration Engineer)
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
Content Creation and Management
- Partner with stakeholders, customers, and Agile teams to research, design, create, test, curate, and deliver accurate, clear, and concise technical content for multiple products or product families that is appropriate for multiple audiences.
- Develop and drive a peer review process that focuses on lean, quality content.
- Collect, analyze, and share data to improve the customer's experience by improving content quality across multiple products or product lines.
- Define and advocate for multi-year content roadmaps for one or more products or a product line.
- Advocate for content the customer can find and use easily, including championing department initiatives to provide quality content (such as lean content).
- Review the user interface (UI), partner with UX designers to suggest ways to make the UI intuitive, and provide content that can be embedded in the UI.
- Monitor and respond to customers using a variety of mechanisms to address customer feedback and ensure that content meets their needs.
- Function as a subject matter expert for products.
- Drive the analysis of competitors' content to understand the full competitive landscape for the product lines; highlight and publicize differentiators.
- Utilize tools, systems, processes, and procedures to increase department and Agile team efficiency and effectiveness.
- Responsible for own growth and development by keeping knowledge of department and industry current, understanding products, customers, and competitors, meeting training deadlines, and setting challenging goals for growth.
- Demonstrate the flexibility to take on new products and assignments as business needs require.
- May represent the company by attending, presenting, and exerting influence at CA and industry conferences, symposiums, and standards bodies.
- Communicate, collaborate, coach, and innovate with others in alignment with core values.
- Leverage partnerships with other departments (such as Education, Marketing, Product Management) to understand and improve the customer's experience across multiple products or product lines.
- Lead DocOps initiatives across multiple Agile teams.
- Mentor teammates, coordinate the work of multiple IEs when assigned as team lead, and help others manage their work and meet milestones.
- Use strong interpersonal skills to integrate seamlessly into a variety of teams while fulfilling different roles within the teams.
- Collaborate with management in a variety of areas related to both projects and personnel.
- Be a role model for Agile team participation by actively participating in all aspects of Agile development, including ceremonies, planning, and end of sprint demos.
- Set content goals, drive execution, collaborate on staffing projects, and coordinate and manage the work of others to ensure deadlines are met.
- Proactively identify improvements, formulate solutions, and drive their implementation by using an in-depth understanding of products, customers, competitors, standards, tools, and processes.
Typical Role Definition
Sr Professional Staff. A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization. Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. Complete understanding and wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job. Usually works with minimal supervision, conferring with a supervisor on unusual matters. May be assisted by (and at times direct) less senior level employees. Requires daily decision-making capabilities and actions that may not be reviewed by superiors. Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. May assist more junior staff members with aspects of their job. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. May play a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company's future direction.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Determines content structure for a product line.
- Coordinates work assignments for groups of writing teams.
- Works directly with customers to resolve issues.
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically does not manage a budget.
Bachelor's degree or global equivalent in a related field.
Typically 7 or more years in an industry related role. Typically has worked in technical support, system administration or product development type roles with exposure to marketing.
Skills & Competencies
- Design, author, edit, test, and deliver content.
- Ensure content is audience appropriate.
- Familiar with usability and information architecture.
- Perform independent research to understand content and delivery requirements for a product or product family in relation to its competition.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with peers, colleagues, customers, and project teams.
- Set priorities and escalate issues appropriately.
- Effectively lead a writing team and coordinate communication with one or more project teams.
- Proactively identify problems and propose solutions.
- Unify and simplify content to improve its usability, relevancy, and accessibility.
Demonstrate mastery with tools including Microsoft Office, Confluence, Author-it, Acrolinx, and Adobe products and technology including operating systems, programming concepts, and source control.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top