Sr Technical Writer
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.Key Responsibilities
Content Creation and Management
- Partner with stakeholders, customers, and Agile teams to design, create, test, curate, and deliver accurate, clear, and concise technical content for one or more products that is appropriate for multiple audiences as part of multiple Agile teams.
- Participate in peer reviews for own and other's work.
- Collect, analyze, and share data to improve the customer's experience by improving the quality of a product's content.
- Define and advocate for multi-year content roadmaps for one or more products.
- Advocate for content the customer can find and use easily, including championing department initiatives to provide quality content (such as lean content).
- Review the user interface (UI), partner with UX designers to suggest ways to make the UI intuitive, and provide content that can be embedded in the UI.
- Monitor and respond to customers using a variety of mechanisms to address customer feedback and ensure that content meets their needs.
- Function as a subject matter expert for products.
- Develop and implement efficient ways to manage work and overcome roadblocks to meet deadlines.
- Responsible for own growth and development by keeping knowledge of department and industry current, understanding products, customers, and competitors, meeting training deadlines, and setting challenging goals for growth.
- Demonstrate the flexibility to take on new products and assignments as business needs require.
- May represent the company by attending, presenting, and exerting influence at CA and industry conferences, symposiums, and standards bodies.
- Communicate, collaborate, coach/mentor, and innovate with others in alignment with core values.
- Leverage partnerships with other departments (such as Education, Marketing, Product Management) to understand and improve the customer's experience.
- Lead DocOps initiatives across multiple Agile teams.
- Mentor teammates, coordinate the work of multiple IEs when assigned as team lead, and help others manage their work and meet milestones.
- Interact with cross-functional stakeholders to understand their function and business needs concerning technical content.
- Be a role model for Agile team participation by actively participating in all aspects of Agile development, including ceremonies, planning, and end of sprint demos.
- Participate in setting, meeting, and reviewing team commitments for both Agile and writing teams.
- Proactively drive improvements and solutions by using a well-developed understanding of assigned products, customers, competitors, standards, tools, and processes.
Typical Role Definition
Professional Staff. A senior level professional role. Evaluation, originality or ingenuity required. Knows and applies the fundamental concepts, practices, and procedures of a particular field. Has mastered the key responsibilities. Assignments can be broad in nature. May serve as a resource to others to resolve complex problems and issues. Instructions generally provided in general terms. May take on project lead role as required.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Determines how content is structured for a product.
- Coordinates work assignments for a writing team.
- Determine content needs for variety of audiences.
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically does not manage a budget.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 25 percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor's degree or global equivalent in a related field.
Typically 5 or more years in an industry related role. Typically has worked in technical support, system administration, or product development type roles with exposure to marketing.
Skills & Competencies
- Author, edit, test, and deliver content.
- Author audience-appropriate content.
- Revise and restructure existing content to improve usability.
- Perform independent research to understand a product and the needs of customers and stakeholders.
- Communicate clearly and effectively with peers, colleagues, customers, and project teams.
- Set priorities and escalate issues appropriately.
- Effectively lead a writing team and coordinate communication with one or more project teams.
- Proactively identify problems and propose solutions.
- Demonstrate mastery with tools including Microsoft Office, Confluence, Author-it, Acrolinx, and Adobe products and technology including operating systems, programming concepts, and source control.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top