Sr Principal Software Engineer (CA)
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
CA Technologies is actively seeking an innovative, technically deep, and intellectually curious team development leader who will be responsible for leading a few agile teams delivering initiatives for designing and implementing a new SaaS platform that will be used by CA SaaS software developers to bring new CA SaaS products to market.
We are looking for a servant leader who guides, coaches, and mentors engineers and teams representing the Software Engineering and Systems Administration functions towards high performance. This role is primarily focused on the team leadership and development of people and practices and enables self-directed teams to successfully execute against their goals within an Agile organization in support of corporate vision and strategy, and will also lead programs and initiatives related to increasing organizational effectiveness.\
An entrepreneurial fast paced mentality is critical for success in this position: a passionate can-do attitude, exceptional communication skills, and the ability to collaborate while acting as a thought leader in your area of expertise will serve you well at CA Technologies. Does this sound like a challenge you're ready for?
Guiding Engineering Teams
- Help to attract, recruit, retain, and develop top engineering talent.
- Be a servant leader and act as an engineering advisor to the Director of Engineering
- Accountable for increasing employee engagement at the team level and removing impediments to employee engagement.
- Meet regularly with employees one-on-one for Pulse Conversations and coaching to mentor employees on career and personal development, team collaboration and Agile practices.
- Coach other leaders and managers on the role of a servant leadership within the Agile organization.
- Support continuous learning and continuous team improvement.
- Encourage employees to share feedback on the team, organization, and company.
- Stay abreast of and share industry/technology trends relevant to the Software Engineering discipline.
- Ensure team stays focused on customer/market needs.
- Ensure staff understand and adhere to corporate policies and procedures.
- Contribute to the identification of common impediments to organizational effectiveness.
- Live the principles behind the Agile Manifesto in all interactions and equip the team to do the same.
- Enable self-directed work teams and Agile practices that establish an environment conducive to a high level of employee engagement and performance.
- Foster and enable innovation:
- Champion diversity of thought.
- Empower teams and individuals to take calculated risks.
- Create the time, space, and collaborative environment necessary for ideas to be shared and to grow.
- Enable teams to fail fast through experimentation, and to learn from and share both their successes and failures.
- Advocate for the team and promote their successes, celebrate their failures, and share key learnings throughout the organization.
- Participate in cross-functional activities that will enhance relationships with customers both internal and external and promote programs for the same.
- Be available to provide Software Engineering advice/assistance to teams as needed.
- Be present, support, and guide the team during all relevant Agile processes and practices.
- Proactively identify impediments to team success including the skills, knowledge, or resources required to meet defined objectives.
- Participate in Release Management alongside other key Business Owners with an eye to scope management, quality, deployment options, release, and market consideration.
What We Are Looking For:
- 5 or more years of experience in software development and/or systems administration and at least 2 years in an Agile organization environment. Experience managing development projects and engineering teams.
- A strong servant leader with a demonstrated ability to support self-organizing teams.
- Proven ability to make difficult decisions and to own the outcomes.
- Experienced in Agile methodologies and Agile best practices.
- Experience as a manager preferably on a SaaS product or a large scale, highly available, service-oriented, distributed production systems.
- Experience with SaaS best practices such as multi-tenancy and zero downtime deployments
- Experience with DevOps best practices such as continuous delivery and observability
- Basic understanding of the following:
- Docker containers and orchestration systems such as Kubernetes or Mesos
- CI/CD tools such as Jenkins, Artifactory, and Docker registries
- Cloud platforms such as AWS, Azure, or Google Cloud
- Virtualization technologies such as VMWare
- SSO, SAML, and OAUTH
- SOA and/or microservice design and implementation experience
- Demonstrates high personal integrity and ability to earn trust from others.
- Ability to work without direction.
- Strong ability to motivate team members to deliver on commitments.
- Strong instructing, coaching, and mentoring skills to improve performance and employee development.
- Ability to easily build new relationships and proactively establish a variety of contacts across the organization.
- Ability to proactively recognize and resolve conflict through collaboration and consensus.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills for both individuals and small groups; ability to clearly communicate and motivate teams toward a common goal.
- Active listening and respect for other's opinions and ideas; invite dissent.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong.
At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
We and all of our subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate's race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
If you require an accommodation with the online application process, please contact Talent Acquisition at 1-800-454-3788.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top