Sr Principal Product Manager (CA)
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
The Product Manager is Customer/Market facing, responsible for identifying and continuously validating addressable market opportunities aligned to CAÆs strategy, understanding and communicating the voice of the target customer, and combining these to achieve market success through delivering new or improved product or solution offerings.
This role is a fully qualified senior Product Manager who can work independently interfacing with internal and external customers at every level and will provide guidance to less senior Product Managers.
The Sr Principal Product Manager will typically lead a medium to large Release Train in the following activities:
- Coach and mentor more junior Product Managers in the art and science of the Product Manager role.
- Take a leadership role within the extended Product Management team in support of the overall Product Management discipline for a Product.
- May also assume the responsibilities of the Product Owner role, for example where the product is small (one Agile team) or development is predominantly maintenance.
- May perform Product Management responsibilities for multiple products, for example where the associated products or markets are very immature, mature, or highly synergistic.
- Work in close partnership with multiple Product Owners to optimize feature delivery to the customer in a series of releases that balance CA Technologies technical and economic objectives for the product line.
- Work as part of the extended Product Team, including other Product Managers, Product Owners, UX ,and Architects in facilitating the processes, practices and principles necessary to delivering outstanding business value and an exceptional customer experience.
- Lead continuous market research and assessment activities to ensure the team is aligned to the market opportunities, and able to react quickly to changing market dynamics.
- Build customer insights into all stages of the planning and execution process, ensuring the continuous validation of features and stories with Customers.
- Solicit and secure customers in support of the validation process.
- Actively engage with Customer Advisory Boards and other key customer forums to form strategic partnerships that will help drive the product-line forward.
- Act as a model for the principles behind the Agile Manifesto.
- Function as the primary SME (subject matter expert) on major features of the product, its target market and unique value proposition.
- Lead the validation of new features or new products through market research, experimentation and analysis, leveraging lean techniques to fail fast.
- Identify, through various discovery techniques, significant market opportunities that are addressable by CA Technologies.
- May provide input to the Enterprise Business Strategy process based on market data, competitive analysis, and insights on emerging disruptive business or technology trends, including:
- Provide actionable insights based on knowledge of markets and segments, and pending market shifts.
- Provide actionable insights based on knowledge of competitive solutions.
Program Portfolio Management
- Own and develop a portion of the Product Business Case, including:
- Develop the business case for Portfolio and Program Epics related to the Release Train.
- Act as an Epic owner for key Business Epics and:
- Define Epic Acceptance Criteria.
- Shepherd the epics through the Kanban system.
- Monitor and report on the progress of the Epic with Key Stakeholders.
- Identify synergies / integration opportunities across the CA portfolio that lead to business outcomes and improved customer experience.
- Own the lifecycle for all features within the release train; establish installation, support, upgrade and migration strategies that balance business goals, technological capabilities and customer experience.
Program Increment (PI) Planning
- Prepare for PI Planning, including:
- Define and manage the Program Backlog, including Features, and Feature Acceptance Criteria.
- Define and maintain the non-functional requirements to help assure the solution meets relevant standards and other system quality features.
- Work with the Architecture team to understand the architectural epics and features, and to assist with the decision-making and sequencing of key technological infrastructures that will host the new business functionality.
- Build empathy for customer needs and expectations; develop personas to help convey user and buyer needs and product requirements to all stakeholders.
- Actively participate in the PI Planning process, including:
- Define releases and program increments.
- Understand and help assure that business objectives, program vision, and system requirements are understood and agreed to by key stakeholders including customers, the RTE, Product Management and System Architects.
- Balance backlog items at the release level across % breakdown of new stories, refactoring, improvement activities, and technical debt reduction.
- Communicate current business context, including milestones and significant external dependencies.
- Play a primary role in the draft plan review, with an eye towards the bigger picture and how all plans, taken together, do or do not fulfil the current business.
Release and Risk Management
- Participate in Release Management alongside other key Business Owners with an eye to scope management, quality, deployment options, release, and market considerations,
- Actively participate in the on-going change management as process business and technical scope is adjusted.
Program Increment Execution
- Work as part of the Product Management team in the early and continuous validation of features and stories with Customers, Analysts, and CA's customer facing teams to maximize the market value of the software delivered at each increment.
- Attend End of Iteration demos as a key stakeholder, to track progress against the vision and to provide actionable feedback to the Agile Team.
- Attend Agile Team ceremonies including Iteration Planning or Retrospectives as needed and only where appropriate.
- Actively manage impediments that impact velocity, quality or value at the Release Train level.
- Develop, maintain, and communicate the roadmap for internal stakeholders and external customers, prospects, and analysts.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and implement a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
- Actively manage pricing and packaging as a profit and market penetration lever.
- Lead forecasting and pipeline analysis activities to monitor product performance.
- Lead market performance activities including win/loss analysis.
- Manage P&L for product û create annual plan for product and track performance against plan.
Typically 10 or more years in an industry related role. Will typically have worked in technical support, system administration, or product development type roles with exposure to marketing.
Skills & Competencies
- Market Knowledge
- In-depth understanding of overall market and segments, and the impact of changing market conditions and forces.
- In-depth understanding of competitor products and alternative solutions.
- Synthesizes varied input to identify unique opportunities, emerging disruptive trends and unmet needs.
- Customer Centricity
- Demonstrates empathy for customer needs and expectations.
- In-depth understanding of how to communicate customer needs and expectations to various internal stakeholders; owns the voice of the customer.
- In-depth understanding of the sales process and buyer personas, and the customer journey.
- In-depth understanding of continuous and customer-centric validation techniques.
- Business Accountability
- Ability to balance business needs, competition, technology, and customer needs to create a product strategy.
- Ability to develop product roadmaps.
- In-depth knowledge of how to measure, analyze, and report product performance, relative to revenue targets, to all stakeholders.
- Concept and Product Development
- Ability to communicate the product vision to help drive the product team towards value.
- Acts as the content authority for the program backlog; is respected and demonstrates servant leadership in driving the product vision.
- Validates early and often with customers, prospects, and industry experts.
- Go-to-Market Execution
- In-depth knowledge of general pricing strategies that maximize business potential.
- Understands the sales process and buyer personas; collaborates with marketing and sales to define a compelling go-to-market strategy for a product.
- Ability to build and communicate a compelling business case for a new product offering to influence decision makers.
- In-depth knowledge of what is required to bring a complete product offering to market, including aftersales services and support.
- Lifecycle Management
- In-depth knowledge of CA product portfolio.
- In-depth knowledge of upgrade and migration strategies.
- Balances competing business goals, technological capabilities, and customer needs at the product level.
Pragmatic Marketing CertifiedùLevel Four (PMC-IV) or equivalent desirable.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top