Sr Principal Consultant, Presales
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. It’s our aim to encourage global collaboration and innovation while supporting and developing our talented workforce. CA Technologies empowers its employees to drive success for both the business and themselves.
This position is responsible to provide broad and deep subject-matter expertise, extensive thought leadership and acute solution/technical specialization within and/or across CA’s products and solutions in a manner that best positions CA against our competition. The building of customer, partner and prospect relationships to better understand their business and IT challenges is absolutely critical to the success of this position.
This position is also responsible for mentoring lower level Presales team members to broaden and sharpen their skills in positioning CA’s products and solution offerings to customers or prospects in a comprehensive, compelling, and competitive manner.
This position must be seen by the customer as bringing tangible value in terms of experience, knowledge and expertise. This is achieved through a combination of broad real-world experience and IT industry-specific certifications. Overall, this position is responsible for delivering positive, quantifiable results for CA measured across five primary areas:
- Customer Focus:Effectively and compellingly communicate CA’s key capabilities to address customer and partner needs
- Financial Targets:Meet or exceed CA’s stated financial quotas and targets
- Internal Business Processes:Demonstrate mastery with CA’s internal processes, systems and support structure
- Professional Development:Demonstrate high-level proficiency and skill
- Leadership, Teamwork and Planning: High-level influencing skills with an ability to work directly and virtually among diverse teams. Demonstrate thought leadership in their own area. Provides mentoring and at times guides less experienced Presales colleagues
- Assist the CA Customer Solution Architect, Channel Solution Strategist, and/or product group aligned Solution Strategist and sales team in technically qualifying solutions and their benefits to customers and/or partners. This position supports work on the most complex and challenging solutions.
- Work closely with the account team and the customer or partner to obtain a deep understanding of the customer’s technology needs or partner’s offerings and architect a solution to meet them.
- Build relationships across customer’s or partner’s IT silos and offerings to understand, build, document and share our knowledge of their infrastructure, challenges and potential technical impact of planned projects.
- Understand and act as a valued resource early and often within the customer’s decision making process (e.g.: during the idea or conceptual stages).
- Execute on the most complex product integration demonstrations and proofs of concept, customizing the demonstrations as necessary to address the customer’s specific needs and environment.
- Maintain a deep and extensive technical knowledge of the products developed by the Business Unit.
- Provide technical specifications and requirements documentation as necessary to support the proposed solution.
- Effectively position and present the benefits of CA’s solutions and specifically how our solutions will support the client’s technical and functional requirements.
- Provide technical leadership and oversight during Trials, Proof of Concept (POCs), complex demos, etc., as warranted.
- Ensure technical requirements required by the proposed solution are clearly communicated to and understood by the client and meet the client’s expectations.
- Effectively communicate CA’s key competitive differentiators, by solution as defined by CA Business Units.
- Foster and build relationships with customers and partners to develop references.
- Strive to constantly improve the quality of all customer interactions.
- Directly assist account teams in achieving financial targets via the opportunity planning process.
- Assist sales in accurately assessing and forecasting opportunities.
- Evaluate alternative options to execute opportunities by the most cost effective means without negatively impacting deliverable quality or customer’s perceptions.
- Ensure long-term stability and sustainability of book-of-business.
CA’s Internal Business Processes
- Coordinate internal/external resources to effectively pursue opportunities.
- Disseminate feedback to business units gained from client experiences and issues to facilitate product improvements or enhancements.
- Mastery of processes and tools for:
- Proposal Development
- Solution Architecture Overview
- Statement of Work (SOW) Development
- Need-based Sales Methodology
- Enterprise Management tools and accelerators (Profile, Maturity Models, and Blueprints)
- Contribute constructive feedback for improvement and enhancement of above processes.
- Assist in the Partner Enablement process (partner selection, technical training and opportunity engagement).
- Marshal appropriate CA resources to effectively execute partner-led opportunities.
- Understand and adhere to compliance requirements and Code of Ethics.
Typical Role Definition
Sr Professional Staff. Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of a particular field of specialization to complete complex assignments. Technical skills may cross fields. Works on complex and diverse issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve. Requires daily decision making capabilities and actions that are not reviewed by supervisor. Operates with substantial latitude for unreviewed action or decision. May be responsible for a project team with a defined scope of responsibility and set of deliverables. Has influence over team members; encourages focus on ingenuity and results. Reviews progress and evaluates results. Plans and assigns personnel for a given project or task, and recommends changes in procedures. Often plays a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company’s future direction.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Development of solution strategies and advice/counsel to account teams and sales management
- Resolution of daily issues as the arise and escalation of larger issues
- The tactics to employ and the execution of the tactics to mentor more junior staff members
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a geographic focus of Region (APJ/EMEA/LA/NA).
- Typically does not manage a budget.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 50 percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or a related degree.
Typically 10 or more years of detailed technical industry related experience. Significant experience working with customers, sales personnel and/or customer services. Significant experience and understanding related industry disciplines and technologies and related application experience (i.e. Exchange, SQL, ORACLE & SAP as well as operating system administration). Experience resolving more complex technical issues and integration of multiple products to create solutions.
Prior management experience and/or experience mentoring more junior team members of absolute criticality.
Skills & Competencies
Key Competencies include:
- Customer Focus: Act in ways that demonstrate customer focus and satisfaction by building effective relationships with customers, identifying, meeting and exceeding customer expectations, and by treating customers with dignity and respect.
- Knowledge and Application of CA’s Solution Sets: Possesses a broad and deep understanding of CA’s products and range of solution sets, how to identify the best possible solutions to meet customers’ business needs and how to appropriately position CA solutions with customers.
- Territory Management: Manage territory, considering each and all accounts collectively; establish accurate plans and forecasts; prioritize efforts; generate short term results while holding a long-term perspective to maximize overall territory viability.
- Effective Communication: Deliver outstanding oral and written communications that are impactful and persuasive with their intended audience.
- Industry Knowledge: Possess in-depth knowledge and expertise of given industry and relevant marketplace; can speak with authority, e.g., on industry trends, best practices, competitive practices, regulatory issues, etc.
- Effective Selling: Utilize solutions-oriented, systematic approach to selling, leverage mastery of sales best practices and CA’s sales methodology.
- Business Acumen: Understand key aspects of business, e.g., business models and competitive positioning; also understand how business operates, including role of structure, systems, and processes; can speak in business language when applying professional expertise.
- Financial Acumen: Use in-depth financial analysis to make decisions, evaluate opportunities and choices; knows how financial decisions impact business success. Mentors others on how to use financial analyses to close sales.
- Leadership: Support coaching and mentoring of Presales and Account Management colleagues.
Demonstrate on-going personal and professional development with respect to the following capabilities:
- Leverage formal and informal learning channels to continually enhance knowledge and understanding of current and evolving market, industry, technology and competitive trends.
- Maintain applicable industry certifications (i.e.: ITIL, Six Sigma, CISSP, SNIA, etc.).
- Attain and/or maintain other industry-recognized technical accreditations (i.e.: Web Services – J2EE, XML, XSLT, .NET, SOAP, Linux, Open VMS, etc.).
- Mastery in proposal development.
- Technical and business acumen.
- Understanding of IT’s role and its impact in supporting the business.
- Problem solving, solution expertise, consultative ‘questioning’ and active listening skills.
- Communication and presentation skills.
- Virtual team leadership and collaboration.
- Technical solution expertise.
- Mastery with CA sales tools (e.g., solution white board, presentations, demonstrations) and resources.
- Achieve certifications within two or more solution areas plus pass two courses per year.
- Familiarity with two or more product families within a brand as well as cross-brand solutions.
Leadership, Teamwork and Planning
- Champion a single brand, but drive cross-brand solutions where appropriate.
- Define the most complex and detailed solution specifications for implementation working with the delivery team as necessary.
- Demonstrate comfort around senior management and technical staff.
- Demonstrate effective partnering with CA’s internal and external partners.
- Collaborate with other technical experts to develop detailed specifications, as necessary.
- Proactively seek and deliver feedback to local sales management with respect to opportunity progress and issues.
- Apply deep and specialized knowledge to analyze, design, construct and implement solutions which address the most complex business or technical requirements.
- Match appropriate CA methods or recognized equivalent to identified client needs.
- Actively mentor and share lessons learned with peers and colleagues.
- Act as a role model in teambuilding and conflict management.
- Recognize team members’ roles, responsibilities, strengths and weaknesses in order to improve and optimize virtual team effectiveness.
- Demonstrate proficiency in navigating CA’s internal processes and systems, and supporting roles.
- Demonstrate effective time management.
- Participate in the most complex internal projects that improve the value of Presales overall, e.g.: publish technical solutions to the TKL and/or TechWeb, create and publish demos for Solution Centers, etc.
- Mentor other staff members.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: CA Technologies does not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any CA Technologies employee. CA Technologies will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered property of CA Technologies and will be processed accordingly.
Back to top