Sr Director, Practice Services
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It’s our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
The NA Service Practices are structured with co-leaders – a senior director or director with a primary focus on sales and the other on delivery. This description covers both and spells out some of the separate responsibilities. A Practice is associated with a CA Business Unit such as Security, PPM, Continuous Delivery, Enterprise Management or Service Management.
The Senior Director is “the co-CEO of their practice”, responsible for the financial performance of their business, their customers’ satisfaction and the direct management and leadership of their team of architects and consultants. Given CA’s organization, they must work across the matrix of product sales, presales, services areas (platinum, named growth, public sector), services marketing, support and engineering.
The requirements include a combination of leadership, services and consulting experience, business planning, domain expertise, thought leadership and people management. The Practice Directors are expected to build their annual and quarterly business plans, set strategies to grow their business and constantly drive innovation and improvements, help sell and deliver projects, create excellent customer experiences, resolve project problems and, most importantly, hire and develop a talented team of experts.
- Accountable for the Practice’s overall performance, measured by sales/bookings, utilization, revenue and margins. Customer satisfaction is a focus item.
- Reports to the VP Practice Services.
- Develop annual and quarterly business plans to exceed goals, drive innovation and address issues.
- Report weekly on sales forecasts and continuously monitor utilization to exceed targets.
- Build a culture focused on excellence and innovation to exceed goals.
Business/Sales Development (primarily responsibility of Sr.Director, sales focus)
- Develop strategic client relations with executive level client personnel.
- Manage the sales relationship with the Service Areas, presales and sales.
- Identify needs in the marketplace and drive development of service offerings, working with CA’s Global Practice.
- Build a go-to-market plan to build pipeline and grow deals attached to products and separate, stand-alone services projects.
- Drive sales, delivery and staffing efforts to ensure ability to achieve quarterly and annual targets.
Delivery Excellence, Quality (primarily responsibility of Sr.Director, delivery focus)
- Develop strategic client relations with executive level client personnel.
- Lead and manage the practice area portfolio of projects and the resources managing and delivering the projects. Work closely with the Area Delivery Directors and Project Managers.
- Manage client expectations within strategic accounts.
- Deliver high quality projects and drive initiatives to constantly improve our delivery.
- Respond to escalations at the executive management level.
Team & Staff Management
- Establish direction while creating a high-performance, high morale working environment.
- Create high performance teams and by ensuring staff are enabled for professional growth.
- Responsible for executing the following tasks in association with direct management responsibility:
- Ensure all staff adheres to the Time and Expense Policy as posted on QMS. Ensure each team member responsible for time approval reviews each entry for accuracy, then approves in a timely fashion.
- Ensure all staff adheres to CA Policies of Code of Conduct/Ethics, Security and any required training available at LMS.
- Conduct regular one-on-one meetings with each team member.
- Prepare and deliver goals and performance reviews for each team member in accordance with corporate policy.
- Collaborate with Project Management and Resource Management teams to obtain time and expense data for use in appropriately managing team members.
- Mentor and coach team members ensuring each has targeted training plans and understands required developmental components needed for career progression.
- Interview and hire new employees in association with open requisitions.
- Proper performance review and termination if necessary of non-performers in conjunction with manager approval.
- Actively participate in the sales account planning and pipeline management planning activities to assist in identifying new and follow up Services and Education opportunities.
Typical Role Definition
Business/Operational Leadership. Typically manages department(s) or ‘sub- functions’ of significant scope and financial and operational impact. Expected to operate autonomously within area of responsibility and fully accountable for meeting strategic financial and operating objectives of the department(s) or ‘sub-functions’. Broad knowledge of all areas within particular department(s) or ‘sub-functions’ derived from experience in non-management and middle-management roles. Develops budgets for SVP approval and manages budget once approved. Develops others by encouraging accountability and enforcing performance standards. Makes, or reviews others, selection, disciplinary, termination, and compensation decisions. Plans for and makes strategic and tactical business decisions that directly affect the department(s) or ‘sub-functions’ and organization’s processes. Becomes involved in elevated issues arising from daily activities. Resolves complex problems that arise in everyday work. Develops and implements policies and procedures for the department(s) or ‘sub-functions’ to meet broad, but specific goals and objectives of the function; modifies goals in response to organizational changes. Analyzes and challenges current working methods to create improvements in processes and results. Develops and approves exceptions to policy tied directly to department(s), ‘sub-functions’, or relevant area of responsibility.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Typically has 6-10 direct reports.
- Typically has a total staff of 26-50.
- Typically has a geographic focus of Area (multi-country or multi-state).
- Typically manages a total budget of up to $10 million USD.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 10 or less percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor’s Degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or business related field.
Typically 10 or more years in a business and technical management position with experience in leading a practice area business with services sales and revenue targets, business development, architecture, product management, project management and consulting management experience. Experience managing teams of 15+ resources on complex multi-phase projects. Combination of advanced technical knowledge and experience managing and reporting on complex projects is required. Experienced in the integration of products to create solutions.
Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated business acumen to lead an area services practice team and manage sales & revenue targets
- Demonstrated ability to analyze IT business requirements, define/design appropriate IT solution, create detailed Time-to-Value phased execution scopes.
- Demonstrate ability to engage in hands-on implementation of software technology at a complex level for single Business Unit multi-product solutions and/or cross Business Unit multi-product integrated solutions of chosen expertise.
- Proven comprehension of solutions capabilities and how the solution is designed to be integrated into the client environment.
- Must possess advanced business & technology troubleshooting skills for products of chosen expertise and for complex integrated solutions.
- Ability to understand and communicate how solution(s) of chosen expertise resolve typical client business needs.
- Must execute impeccable business level of written and oral professional communication.
- Within first 90 days must achieve CA product training and certification in a minimum of 2 CA products of expertise as agreed to by your Manager. Also complete associated solution training that aligns with chosen products.
- Industry specific certification such as, ITIL or CISSP as appropriate.
Must maintain updated training as required annually.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong.
At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
We and all of our subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate’s race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
If you require an accommodation with the online application process, please contact Talent Acquisition at 1-800-454-3788.
Back to top