Sr Director, Information Technology
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. It’s our aim to encourage global collaboration and innovation while supporting and developing our talented workforce. CA Technologies empowers its employees to drive success for both the business and themselves.
This position is responsible for providing vision and leadership and overseeing the management of a group of IT functions to achieve the company’s overall IT strategy.
Oversee the planning, organization, and management of the assignments and operations at a functional level and build teams in alignment with corporate strategies as required. Own all internal customer interactions of the function, determine and build any cross-dependencies required and coordinate external activity with the SVP. As a partner to the business, informed of changing business needs and effectively plan and execute change initiatives, ensure alignment with the desired outcomes.
Thorough understanding of the corporate and IT global strategies and how they align and provide input to shape the future for CA’s transformational opportunities. Assist the SVP with the development of a global IT strategy and is responsible for planning and implementing the strategy. As a leader, provide direction to his/her team in this regard.
Define and exhibit the leadership competencies necessary to motivate teams to achieve goals, build capacity to develop and innovate, and creatively manage challenges and changes. Oversee the definition and establishment of effective resource planning and utilization, ensure the acquisition, retention and continual development of key talent, and manage staff instilling excellence in employee development and performance are instrumental in this regard. Ensure teams stay well-informed on latest global technology, research best practices within and outside the organization, establish benchmark data, and use continuous process improvement and process framework disciplines to achieve results. Provide guidance and direction to others to drive these capabilities through the organization.
Fully versed in IT operating expense and capital budgets and managing expenditures displaying proven financial aptitude and fiscal responsibility. Provide direction to teams in the effective evaluation and selection of hardware and software technology, ensure selected products and services provide value and satisfy related requisites.
- Provide leadership and vision and oversee the management of a group of IT functions. Build teams in alignment with corporate strategies. Subject matter expert in multiple functions.
- Understand and provide input to the assessment of organizational challenges and global trends; take a long-term view of the possibilities, make decisions and provide input to shape the future for CA’s transformational opportunities.
- Assist SVP with the development of a global IT strategy and plan and implement, ensure alignment with the company’s overall strategy. Provide direction.
- Motivate, inspire, and lead teams to achieve goals, build capacity to develop and innovate, and creatively manage challenges and changes. Promote teamwork and collaboration. Teach others.
- Partner with the business to align strategy, goals and objectives and stay informed on changing business needs. Own all internal customer interaction of function and coordinate external activity with SVP. Determine and build cross dependencies required.
- Ensure teams stays informed on the latest technology, research best practices within and outside the organization, establish benchmarks, and use continuous process improvement and process framework disciplines to achieve results.
- Fully accountable for achieving financial, strategic, and operating objectives
- Adapt goals based on changes in CA strategy. Plan and execute change initiatives, ensure they are aligned with the desired outcomes.
- Oversee the definition and establishment of effective resource planning and utilization within the team.
- Ensure the acquisition, retention and continuing development of key talent. Provide guidance and teach others.
- Oversee the planning, organization, and management of assignments and operations at the functional level. May also plan and manage assignments of direct reports.
- Monitor staff performance, instill excellence in employee development and performance to attain the highest level of productivity for long-range success.
- Direct teams in the effective evaluation and selection of hardware and software technology, ensure selected products and services provide value and satisfy related requisites.
- Fully versed in IT operating expense and capital budgets and manage expenditures.
Typical Role Definition
Business/Operational Leadership. Typically manages department(s) or ‘sub- functions’ of significant scope and financial and operational impact. Expected to operate autonomously within area of responsibility and fully accountable for meeting strategic financial and operating objectives of the department(s) or ‘sub-functions’. Broad knowledge of all areas within particular department(s) or ‘sub-functions’ derived from experience in non-management and middle-management roles. Develops budgets for SVP approval and manages budget once approved. Develops others by encouraging accountability and enforcing performance standards. Makes, or reviews others, selection, disciplinary, termination, and compensation decisions. Plans for and makes strategic and tactical business decisions that directly affect the department(s) or ‘sub-functions’ and organization’s processes. Becomes involved in elevated issues arising from daily activities. Resolves complex problems that arise in everyday work. Develops and implements policies and procedures for the department(s) or ‘sub-functions’ to meet broad, but specific goals and objectives of the function; modifies goals in response to organizational changes. Analyzes and challenges current working methods to create improvements in processes and results. Develops and approves exceptions to policy tied directly to department(s), ‘sub-functions’, or relevant area of responsibility.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Negotiation of vendor fees.
- Approval of IT expenditures.
- Resolve complex IT-related issues.
- Typically has 11+ direct reports.
- Typically has a total staff of 51-100.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically manages a total budget of up to $50 million USD.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 10 or less percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in an IT-related discipline. Master’s degree or global equivalent preferred.
Typically 12 or more years of increasingly responsible IT experience with 5 or more years of leadership experience.
Skills & Competencies
- Excellent management skills. Excellent leadership skills to mobilize and empower teams to achieve. Developing the ability to build IT functions/teams from scratch. Is a SME in multiple functions.
- Strong understanding of strategic planning capabilities and knowledge of operational strategy and planning
- Excellent understanding of CA’s and IT’s global strategies, goals and objectives. Ensures the alignment with team goals.
- Strong communication skills and effective relationship building skills at the senior management level. Strong interpersonal skills such as teamwork, facilitation and negotiation.
- Strong ability to drive and implement change initiatives within a global organization. Fully capable of researching and teaching concepts and best practices of organizational change management.
- Strong ability to coach, develop and motivate teams. Leads by example.
- Strong ability to lead multi-disciplinary, multi-cultural teams
- Excellent judgment and decision-making skills based on analysis and assessments of facts. Teaches others.
- Excellent ability to understand the long-term (‘big picture’) and short term perspective situations. Teaches others.
- Excellent influencing and negotiating skills. Interprets department strategies and services, resolves conflicts, influences outcomes on matters of significance for the division, conducts final negotiations and coordinates approvals/decision making below the executive level. Ability to provide guidance to others.
- Demonstrated expertise in multiple IT disciplines and an excellent understanding of software and hardware technology. Keeps up-to-date on technological developments.
- Excellent analytical skills and ability to quickly comprehend the functions and capabilities of new technologies
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills to successfully accomplish all aspects of the role
- Display intellectual integrity.
- Proven ability to prioritize, assign, monitor, and control the activities of the team. Teaches others.
- Excellent financial skills to effectively develop and manage budgets and control costs
- Achievement of a certification in an IT discipline is preferred.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Back to top