Principal Software Engineer (CA) - Java
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
This position is responsible for architecting, designing, creating, testing, and ensuring the quality of moderately complex software for a major product or product line. The Principal Software Engineer will perform complex code modification, testing, and debugging tasks as well as provide high level research and analysis related to software design and development.
- Work collaboratively within an Agile Team to write high quality, testable code that meets the Definition of Done:
- Strive to meet team commitments.
- Strive to eliminate technical debt.
- Adopt a test-first approach to software development, where possible in which the test is developed before the code.
- Participate in design and code reviews with other engineers.
- Use best software engineering practices to evolve the system design.
- Create automated unit, system, and acceptance tests.
- Participate in test plan reviews.
- Perform unit/module testing of software.
- Continuously evaluate software performance, identify performance degradation and opportunities to gain performance improvements valued by customers.
- Actively support and contribute to end of iteration demos.
- Support the early and continuous validation of features and stories with Customers, Analysts and CA's customer facing teams to maximize the market value of the software delivered at each increment.
- Responsible for assigned integration, testing, and deployment tasks.
Bachelor's degree or global equivalent in a related field.
Typically, 9 or more years of software development experience.
Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrate a growth mind-set, seeks feedback often and is effective in continuous personal and professional development.
- Participate in self-directed learning activities aimed at developing deep expertise within technical domain, including reading relevant publications, participating in domain forums or groups etc.
- Have a deep understanding of context within which our products are being developed, deployed and used.
- Have a solid understanding of the user personas CA products and solution are targeting within the technical domain and deep empathy for the needs of those users.
- Uses in-depth experience and expertise of Agile methods, paradigms and tools to support the development, implementation and adoption of software engineering best practices for the organization.
- Supports the implementation and adoption of new Agile standards, methodologies, and tools.
- Deliberately finds ways to observe users interacting with a product or major feature set to gain deep insights into customer behavior that may lead to novel problem solving approaches.
- Takes intelligent risks and learns from failure.
- Technical expert with in-depth programming and product knowledge and strong technical skills combined with project management and leadership ability.
- Strong technical leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- Strong team work skills for cross-group cooperation.
- Strong technical knowledge across the industry.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to understand complexities and how components connect and relate to each other.
- Leadership skills and ability.
- Coaching and mentoring skills.
- Constantly refine and stay current with emerging themes in software development and testing.
- Strong experience with Java
- Good understanding of Data Structures and Algorithms.
- Should have strong Performance engineering concepts
- Should have 5-6 years of core performance engineering experience.
- Performing End to End performance testing and analysis.
- Come up with the best practices in performance, scalability and reliability improvements.
- Build technical knowledge in team focusing on Performance tools, capacity planning, Database and Application server tuning
- Resolves performance issues and opens discussions with peers and takes action when needed to ensure the success of the product.
- Strong background in distributed computing
- Exposure to API, SaaS, and Cloud Products
- A strong sense of teamwork and collaboration
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top