Principal Software Engineer (CA)
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
This position is responsible for architecting, designing, creating, testing, and ensuring the quality of moderately complex software for a major product or product line. The Principal Software Engineer will perform complex code modification, testing, and debugging tasks as well as provide high level research and analysis related to software design and development.
Typical Role Definition
Sr Professional Staff. A seasoned, experienced professional with a full understanding of area of specialization. Resolves a wide range of issues in creative ways. Complete understanding and wide application of principles, theories, and concepts in the field. General knowledge of other related disciplines. Strong competence with the various tools, procedures, programming languages used to accomplish the job. Usually works with minimal supervision, conferring with a supervisor on unusual matters. May be assisted by (and at times direct) less senior level employees. Requires daily decision-making capabilities and actions that may not be reviewed by superiors. Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. May assist more junior staff members with aspects of their job. Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. May play a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company's future direction.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally, works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Use best software engineering practices to evolve the system design.
- Volunteer for and commit to delivering stories and tasks within the sprint.
- Take ownership of problems and continuously strive to become a better problem solver.
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically, does not manage a budget.
Typically, 8 or more years of software development experience.
- Architect, design and develop working solutions to solve wide array of product challenges
- Collaborate with cross functional global team with effective communication skills
- Ability to come up with innovative ideas to improve product capabilities
- Mentor and coach other team members improving overall technical and domain capabilities
- Coordinate in leading projects and driving them to successful completion
- Minimum 8+ years of experience on Java Development projects.
- Minimum 5+ year of experience in designing of large scale software systems
- Strong coding skills in Java
- Hands-on web technologies like XML, JSON, and RESTful API.
- Expertise in Object Oriented Analysis & Design, Design Patterns, doing research and validation for new product features
- Desirable to have experience in Analytics platforms and NoSQL big data stores, like Elasticsearch, Cassandra, Apache Spark
- Strong knowledge of Data structures and Algorithms
- Support early and continuous validation of features and stories with customers, analysts and CA's customer facing teams
- Ability to design, architect, code scalable, high-performing features, enhancements
- Experience in Agile Software Development (Scrum and Kanban)
- Experience in developing IT Monitoring applications preferred
- Experience of participating in industry standard bodies related to Software development and IT Management preferred
- Contribution to open source software and active participation in open source software development and adoption preferred
- Exceptional defect analysis, triaging and fixing skills.
- Ability to develop utilities, tools to fulfill day to day development team needs.
- Strong working knowledge of Server Operating Systems(Linux/Unix and Windows), Networking concepts and Databases.
- Hands-on scripting using DOS, Unix Shell, Perl or any other.
- Very Strong problem solving and decision making skills.
- Demonstrate the use of strong interpersonal and social skills in individual and group settings
Bachelor's degree or global equivalent in a related field.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top