Principal Scrum Master (CA)-Scrum Master
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. It’s our aim to encourage global collaboration and innovation while supporting and developing our talented workforce. CA Technologies empowers its employees to drive success for both the business and themselves.
The Scrum Master guides, coaches, and mentors Agile teams toward achieving their objectives.
In addition to the typical responsibilities of the Scrum Master, the Principal Scrum Master is responsible for the advanced facilitation and coaching of one or more Agile Teams in Agile methodology and practices as well as on-going advocacy for Agile maturity and adoption.
- Coach, train, and mentor assigned Agile teams:
- Work with each team to institute the Agile framework that best fits team activities.
- Familiarize the team with the common elements of the chosen system such as Daily Scrums and Sprint/Iteration Reviews.
- Guide the teams to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable for the team and organization.
- Foster cross team communication.
- Guide continuous backlog refinement with the team.
- May work at the Program level.
- Foster an Agile culture:
- Foster a strong and cohesive team dynamic.
- Foster trust and collaboration across all team members; make it safe to challenge, experiment and fail without fear.
- Foster continuous collaboration; continuously collaborate and communicate across all functions supporting Agile team execution.
- Promote continuous improvement at the team level for all functions.
- Give recognition for results.
- Promote and coach healthy communication in and around the team.
- Coach, train, and mentor those outside the Agile team who support and work with the team, such as Product Owner and Functional Manager.
- Mentor and coach the Product Owner to ensure the Agile artifacts used by the team are healthy.
- Work closely with Product Owners and teams in building release plans and iteration modification where needed.
- Work closely with management to continually improve the environment within which the team works.
- Collaborate with other Scrum Masters to develop and foster cross team communication.
- Assist and mentor other Scrum Masters or Agile roles.
- Collaborate with Agile Coaches and Agile Program Managers to coach, train and educate teams, Programs (team of teams) and those surrounding the teams on the principles and practices of Agile.
- Build a coaching relationship with an Agile Coach.
- Begin to practice Agile Coaching techniques.
- Model continuous learning.
- Participate in regional Agile groups.
- Understand and apply Agile-at-scale approaches and techniques.
- Develop Agile training materials.
- Radiate information out to others and ensure cross functional collaboration by participating in the program-wide Scrum of Scrums meeting (where applicable).
- Protect team from external interruptions to execution.
- Facilitate team level Agile ceremonies such as Daily Stand-ups, Retrospectives, and Iteration Planning as a servant leader to the team.
- May support the Team Demo as needed.
- Maintain a healthy interaction between individual team members and teams.
- Proactively recognize conflict; facilitate conflict resolution through collaboration and consensus.
- Assist Agile Program Managers with facilitation of program increment (PI) planning.
- Track team impediments and escalate those that cannot be resolved within the team.
Bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in a related field.
Typically 7 or more years of experience in an Agile Software Development environment or a related field.
Skills & Competencies
- Leading Yourself
- Demonstrate high personal integrity and ability to earn trust from others.
- Demonstrate a growth mind-set, seeks feedback often, and is effective in continuous personal and professional development.
- Demonstrate excellent organizational skills.
- Leading Through Others
- Practice and improve servant leadership.
- Formal facilitation skills to lead a group.
- Able to facilitate different approaches to typical Agile work (story sizing approaches, different Retrospective techniques, etc.).
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Skilled at instructing, coaching, and mentoring to improve performance and employee development.
- Ability to recognize conflict and support conflict resolution through collaboration and consensus.
- Ability to assist with the construction of educational materials.
- Enable Agility
- Demonstrate self-improvement to obtain mastery of Agile techniques and practices.
- Knowledgeable in Agile Scrum, Lean, Kanban, and XP practices.
- Demonstrate Agile behaviors.
- Embraces the Agile Manifesto and the Agile Principles.
- Pursue improvement of Agile techniques and practices.
- Model the behavior of the relentless improvement and a sense of urgency (the Kaizen mind).
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification or equivalent required.
- Certified Scrum Professional (CSP) or equivalent desired.
- ICAgile Professional Certification in Agile Coaching (ICP-ACC) or equivalent desired.
- ICAgile Professional Certification in Agile Team Facilitation (ICP-ATF) or equivalent desired.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Back to top