Principal Product Manager - Lifecycle Management
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.
The Product Manager is Customer/Market facing, responsible for identifying and continuously validating addressable market opportunities aligned to CA's strategy, understanding and communicating the voice of the target customer, and combining these to achieve market success through delivering new or improved product or solution offerings.
We are hiring for our Lifecycle Management Team that is focused on dramatically increasing the value our customers realize from their existing investments. Ensuring our customers are using the latest release, capabilities and features of our products will ensure our competitiveness, renewals rates, and financial measures while reducing customer attrition. Our goal is to ensure our products are easily upgradable with minimal services, issues and complexity so that our customers realize the increasing value of our solutions through full adoption.
This role is a fully qualified senior Product Manager who can work independently interfacing with internal and external customers at every level.
The Principal Product Manager will typically lead a small Release Train in the following activities:
- May coach and mentor more junior Product Managers in the art and science of the Product Manager role.
- Work as part of the extended Product Management team in support of the overall Product Management discipline for a Release Train.
- Work in close partnership with multiple Product Owners to optimize feature delivery to the customer in a series of releases that balance CA Technologies technical and economic objectives for the product line.
- Work as part of the extended Product Team, including other Product Managers, Product Owners, UX, and Architects in facilitating the processes, practices and principles necessary to delivering outstanding business value and an exceptional customer experience.
- Lead continuous market research and assessment activities to ensure the team is aligned to the market opportunities, and able to react quickly to changing market dynamics.
- Function as an SME (subject matter expert) on a feature of the product.
- Support the validation of new features or new products through market research, experimentation and analysis, leveraging lean techniques to fail fast.
Program Portfolio Management
- Own and develop a portion of the Product Business Case, including:
- Develop the business case for Portfolio and Program Epics related to the Release Train.
- Act as an Epic owner for key Business Epics and:
- Define Epic Acceptance Criteria.
- Shepherd the epics through the Kanban system.
- Monitor and report on the progress of the Epic with Key Stakeholders.
- Support the lifecycle for all features within the release train; establish installation, support, upgrade and migration strategies that balance business goals, technological capabilities and customer experience.
Program Increment (PI) Planning
- Prepare for PI Planning, including:
- Define and manage the Program Backlog, including Features, and Feature Acceptance Criteria.
- Define and maintain the non-functional requirements to help assure the solution meets relevant standards and other system quality features.
- Work with the Architecture team to understand the architectural epics and features, and to assist with the decision-making and sequencing of key technological infrastructures that will host the new business functionality.
- Actively participate in the PI Planning process, including:
- Define releases and program increments.
- Understand and help assure that business objectives, program vision, and system requirements are understood and agreed to by key stakeholders including customers, the RTE, Product Management, and System Architects.
- Balance backlog items at the release level across % breakdown of new stories, refactoring, improvement activities, and technical debt reduction.
Release and Risk Management
- Participate in Release Management alongside other key Business Owners with an eye to scope management, quality, deployment options, release and market consideration
Program Increment Execution
- Work as part of the Product Management team in the early and continuous validation of features and stories with Customers, Analysts, and CA's customer facing teams to maximize the market value of the software delivered at each increment.
- Develop, maintain and communicate the roadmap for internal stakeholders and external customers, prospects, and analysts.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to develop and implement a company-wide go-to-market plan, working with all departments to execute.
- Lead forecasting and pipeline analysis activities to monitor product performance.
- Bachelor's Degree or global equivalent in Computer Science or related field preferred.
- Typically 7 or more years in an industry related role. Will typically have worked in technical support, system administration or product development type roles with exposure to marketing.
- In-depth understanding of overall market and segments, and the impact of changing market conditions and forces.
- In-depth understanding of competitor products and alternative solutions.
- Synthesizes varied input to identify unique opportunities, emerging disruptive trends, and unmet needs.
- In-depth knowledge of CA product portfolio.
- In-depth knowledge of upgrade and migration strategies.
- Balances competing business goals, technological capabilities, and customer needs at the product level.
- Demonstrates empathy for customer needs and expectations.
- In-depth understanding of how to communicate customer needs and expectations to various internal stakeholders; owns the voice of the customer.
- In-depth understanding of the sales process and buyer personas, and the customer journey.
- Ability to balance business needs, competition, technology, and customer needs to create a product strategy.
- Ability to develop product roadmaps.
Concept and Product Development
- Ability to communicate the product vision to help drive the product team towards value.
- Acts as the content authority for the program backlog; is respected and demonstrates servant leadership in driving the product vision.
- Validates early and often with customers, prospects, and industry experts.
- In-depth knowledge of general pricing strategies that maximize business potential.
- Understands the sales process and buyer personas; collaborates with marketing and sales to define a compelling go-to-market strategy for a product.
- Ability to build and communicate a compelling business case for a new product offering to influence decision makers.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top