Principal, Platform Engineer
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. It’s our aim to encourage global collaboration and innovation while supporting and developing our talented workforce. CA Technologies empowers its employees to drive success for both the business and themselves.
Typically 7 or more years of related professional experience.
This position is responsible for planning, defining, designing, and implementing solutions for systems using network, server, storage, and computing platforms including Service Oriented architectures (SOA) and Cloud architectures. Implement the core of the IT infrastructure. Propose and implement enhancements (hardware and software) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system. Work to define, order, and install various platforms including operating systems, applications, and possibly databases. Analyze, install, modify, monitor and support operating systems, enterprise application integration (EAI), SOA, databases, utilities, internal networks, telecommunications, data communication systems, video conferencing, phone systems, call center technologies, and Internet/intranet related tools.
Expected to understand and drive work based upon proper IT architectures. May address complex platform management processes and automation such as configuration, asset, problem, discovery, change, release, and security management. Stay current on the latest technologies and aspects such as security and systems management and converse with the latest experts in the field.
Conduct system programming activities such as new or revised program language codes, processing routines and report generators. Serve in an escalation mode to provide technical support to field engineers, technicians and customer support analysts who are diagnosing, troubleshooting, repairing and debugging complex hardware, storage and computing environments. Work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors. Demonstrate good judgment in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions.
Work is substantially complex, varied and regularly requires the selection and application of technical and detailed guidelines. Independent judgment and decision-making is required. Regularly make recommendations to management on areas of significance to the department. Compile and organize data and figures.
Decisions are made with greater freedom and discretion, including recommendations that are subject to approval on matters that may affect multiple departments. Job is frequently expected to recommend new solutions to problems, to improve existing methods/procedures/services and generate new ideas. May also review the decisions made by other individuals on more routine matters.
- Analyze enterprise application integration (EAI), service oriented architecture (SOA), system, server, application, and network performance.
- Develop and review operator and control instructions
- Prepare and conduct system and programming tests requiring interfacing of hardware and software.
- Maintain tools that support and automate processes for hardware or software product release.
- Propose and implement system enhancements (software and hardware updates) that will improve the performance and reliability of the system
- Modify, maintain and update software and hardware.
- Manage end user accounts, permissions, access rights and storage allocations in accordance with best practices regarding privacy, security and compliance. Recommend technology tools and products, develop technical standards and act as a resource to junior members.
- Conduct programming tasks including program design, program coding, debugging and documentation inclusive of systems using end user computing devices
- Conduct research on emerging products, services, protocols and standards in support of system and hardware procurement and development efforts.
- Conduct proactive analysis and works with a combination of internal IT staff and external vendors to ensure timely problem resolution of problems.
- Manage the load configuration of platforms and systems and make recommendations for purchase or upgrade of data networks.
- Coordinate terminal orders and cable installation, network system planning, upgrading, monitoring, testing, and servicing.
- Conduct project planning, cost analysis and vendor comparisons and work on project implementations.
- Approve action requests and specifies purchase requirement and negotiate and place orders with vendors.
- Seek out and embrace opportunities to be CA’s first and best product customer, partner, and collaborator.
- Work to resolve problems, clarify, or interpret complex information/policies and provide initial screening/negotiations without approval authority.
- During times of emergencies, outages and project planned work; be on call and available until the event is addressed. During system conversions, extra effort may be required in order to ensure the roll out of the system is successful.
- Perform other job-related duties as assigned.
Skills & Competencies
- Expertise with Docker Container Management and Orchestration
- Expertise with Cloud Infrastructure Management (AWS or Azure)
- Comfortable with Unix/Linux platform
- Good To Have – Configuration Management and Infrastructure Automation (Chef/Ansible/Puppet)
- Good To Have – Programming skills with Ruby/Python/Perl/Shell
- Completion of all primary certifications in area of specialty is preferred.
Below is the link to the internal QMS job description where you can view the Band Level & Job Family:
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong. At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employee. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
Back to top