Managing Consultant, Practice Services
Do you want to help eliminate barriers between ideas and business outcomes? We want you to bring your unique experiences and creative ideas to the table. CA Technologies provides software and solutions that help our customers to develop, manage, and secure complex IT environments to increase productivity and enhance competitiveness in their businesses. It's our aim to encourage global collaboration and results-oriented innovation, while supporting and developing our talented people and our communities. CA Technologies will empower you to drive authentic success, for both the business and yourself in the application economy.Job Overview
This position is responsible for contributing to business growth by managing an expanding Agile Central Services business team while remaining fully engaged with our clients. The managing consultant will provide expert level consulting services and solution guidance to clients and assist Practice and Delivery Directors in developing new or existing opportunities through Technical and Process Solution leadership.
The Managing Consultant will work under the direction of the Practice Director/Senior Practice Director to build a team with the requisite knowledge and capacity to service the CA Technologies clients within both Area and Region. Under the Managing Consultant's leadership, the Services practice team will deliver technical solution excellence, delivery model compliance and best practice guidance to ensure successful and aligned project outcomes.
- The Managing Consultant will undertake business development support activities through content leadership and best practice guidance. Where needed, the Managing Consultant will delegate the same to team members in order to support ongoing engagements.
- The Managing Consultant will be an expert in the CA Services delivery methodology and supporting solution collateral enabling for mentorship to others with technical and non-technical aspects of consultancy in the context of solution delivery.
- The Managing consultant will lead a team of Services resources and assist and guide them as necessary in the execution of their delivery duties, either through content leadership, delivery execution best practice or industry best practice.
The Managing Consultant will spend approximately 20% of available time on assisting Practice and Delivery management teams in developing new or existing client opportunities through content and best practice leadership.
The Managing Consultant will achieve this by:
- Providing Solution and industry best practice and content leadership during the opportunity life cycle.
- Participating and actively working with Practice aligned Global Practice to provide needed feedback from the field delivery teams, assisting in building out new practice aligned content and contributing to field solution leadership.
- Providing input to the responsible Practice Director where strategic changes or improvements to the delivery life cycle are needed. Provide information to be used in strategy planning when requested ranging from solution adoption or skills alignment in the relevant region.
- Working with the Resourcing Team and Practice Director where needed to identify the appropriate skillsets or candidate to assist in pre-sales activities, engagement escalations and the normal practice activities.
- Engaging directly and indirectly to provide RFP, RFR and ITT input as required.
- Assisting the delivery team with content and delivery leadership by contributing and building proposals and proposal content for new or existing engagements.
- Communicating regularly and directly with delivery teams in order to maintain opportunity momentum.
- Actively maintain and develop collaborative relationships with the area business unit sales group
- Where needed provide opportunity feedback to Practice or Delivery management on opportunities being worked on.
- Sharing experience with the team and assisting in developing others to become competent and solution delivery leaders
The Managing Consultant will spend approximately 40% of available time working directly in a billable capacity with CA Services clients. The Managing Consultant will undertake the following tasks:
- Assist Resource Management and Project Managers in managing client projects using CA Service Delivery Methodology and through providing Solution Best Practice content leadership.
- Develop the strategy for team development alongside the Practice Director/Senior Practice Director to ensure skills coverage over time and sufficient capacity to meet demand.
- Report team performance against stated targets to the Practice Director/Senior Practice Director.
- Ensure that delivery quality and professionalism is monitored and actively maintained through regular updates and pulse conversations with the delivery team and Practice Director.
- With Practice Director guidance, ensure each team member has an appropriate development plan.
- Provide content and delivery best practice leadership to active projects.
- Assist in defining and managing client expectations during the delivery life cycle whilst maintaining a focus on strategic identified accounts.
- Assist the project team and Practice / Delivery Director in responding to project delivery escalations.
- Ensure the correct parties are involved to assist in communicating project success both internally or externally.
- Establish content best practice leadership while creating a high-performance, high morale working environment.
- Build a high performance team by ensuring staff are enabled for professional growth, undertaking development planning with team members regularly.
- Responsible for administration as it relates to vacation time, timesheets and expenses.
- The Managing Consultant will be responsible for executing the following tasks in association with direct management:-
- Prepare and deliver goals and performance reviews for each team member in accordance with corporate policy and individual needs.
- Collaborate with Project Management and Resource Management teams to schedule project involvement and time recording for each team member.
- Work with and assist team members in ensuring each has targeted training plans and understands required developmental components needed for career progression.
- Interview and provide hiring recommendations for new employees in association with the Practice Director and relevant open requisitions.
Typical Role Definition
Business/Operational Leadership. Manages a department of significant scope and financial and operational impact. Fully accountable for meeting the strategic, and operating objectives of the department. Develops proposed budgets for approval and manages budget once approved. Develops others by encouraging accountability and enforcing performance standards. Ensures that group understands the need for and importance of continuous learning, skill acquisition and consistent application. Makes, or reviews others' selection, disciplinary, termination, and compensation decisions. Makes strategic and tactical business decisions that directly affect the department and affect the organization's processes. May become involved in elevated issues arising from daily activities. Resolves complex problems that arise in everyday work. Develops and implements policies and procedures for the department to meet broad, but specific goals and objectives of the function; modifies goals in response to organizational changes. Analyzes and challenges current working methods to create improvements in processes and results. Works with senior management in initiating project related work that impacts functional operations. Planning time horizon is typically fairly short.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Typically manages the assigned project(s) budget.
- Typically has 6-10 direct reports.
- Typically has a total staff of 2-10.
- Typically has a geographic focus of Area (multi-country or multi-state).
- Typically manages a total budget of up to $10 million USD.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 50 percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor's Degree or equivalent in Computer Science or business related field.Work ExperienceTypically 10 or more years experience with experience as a Professional Services Architect, Principle Consultant or comparable management role. Experience with consultative content leadership, cross domain technology understanding, and solution architecture must be demonstrated. A combination of advanced technical knowledge and experience managing and reporting on complex projects is required.Skills & Competencies
- Demonstrated business acumen to lead single, large or multiple medium size projects from a content leadership and delivery excellence perspective.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze IT business requirements, define/design appropriate IT solutions and create detailed Time-to-Value phased execution scopes, in collaboration with Practice and Delivery Management.
- Demonstrated ability to lead teams engaging in hands-on implementation of software technology at a complex level for single Business Unit multi-product solutions and/or cross Business Unit multi-product integrated solutions of chosen expertise.
- Demonstrated ability to apply sound judgment to any situation and assist in defining and delivering the best outcome for all parties
- Must possess advanced business and technology troubleshooting skills for products of chosen expertise and for complex integrated solutions.
- Ability to understand and communicate how solution(s) of chosen expertise resolve typical client business needs.
- Must execute impeccable business level of written and oral professional communication.
- Within first 90 days must achieve CA product training and certification in a minimum of two CA products of expertise as agreed to by your Manager. Also complete associated solution training that aligns with chosen products.
- Industry specific certifications such as ITIL or CISSP as appropriate.
- Must maintain updated training as required annually.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual - recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it - then CA Technologies is where you belong.
At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you'll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
We and all of our subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate's race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
If you require an accommodation with the online application process, please contact Talent Acquisition at 1-800-454-3788.
Nearest Major Market: Manhattan
Nearest Secondary Market: New York City
Meet Some of CA Technologies's Employees
Director of User Experience
Tania oversees the ongoing development of CA’s Agile Management Business Unit and the customer-centered user experience of its products.
Back to top