Director, Public Sector Government Relations
CA Technologies provides IT management solutions that help customers manage and secure complex IT environments to support agile business services. Organizations of all sizes leverage CA Technologies software and SaaS solutions to accelerate innovation, transform infrastructure and secure data and identities, from the data center to the cloud.
This position is responsible for representing CA’s public sector business on public policy and business development efforts. The individual will provide direct support of public sector leadership and the broader team and lead development of strategy and engagement on legislative and Administrative matters impacting IT policy at the federal and state levels. The role will expand CA’s thought leadership and influence in the public sector with a goal of increasing visibility and opportunities for sales to government customers world-wide.
- Serve as internal subject matter expert on procurement policy and federal IT policy. Deep expertise in procurement policy at the federal and state level—knowledge of major federal and state legislation affecting the use and budgeting for information technology, procurement rules, federal certification requirements, and Executive Branch policy and strategies impacting technology deployment in government;
- Develop and execute on a comprehensive strategy to raise CA’s profile on Capitol Hill and within the Administration on IT policy issues.
- Leverage senior relationships at the executive level within federal agencies that are CA customers, including CIOs, heads of procurement, lines of business owners; and with Administration officials at the Office of Management and Budget and White House focused on procurement and federal IT management;
- Monitor and advocate on federal budget and appropriations matters
- Build and nurture relationships on Capitol Hill with the relevant Congressional appropriations subcommittee members and staff and with members and staff of the major Committees in Congress focused on federal agency technology, including the House Oversight and Government Reform and Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committees;
- Provide strategic input to Public Sector account planning processes and sales pursuits; recommend specific strategies and tactics to support growth of CA business in government accounts and partner with public sector team to implement strategies to grow the business;
Typical Role Definition
Sr Professional Staff. Possesses and applies a comprehensive knowledge of a particular field of specialization to complete complex assignments. Technical skills may cross fields. Works on complex and diverse issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors. Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve. Requires daily decision making capabilities and actions that are not reviewed by supervisor. Operates with substantial latitude for unreviewed action or decision. May be responsible for a project team with a defined scope of responsibility and set of deliverables. Has influence over team members; encourages focus on ingenuity and results. Reviews progress and evaluates results. Plans and assigns personnel for a given project or task, and recommends changes in procedures. Often plays a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company’s future direction.
Job-Specific Authority and Scope
- Generally works without consulting their manager.
- Independent decisions are made daily.
- Examples of typical decisions without manager consultation:
- Has influence over team members
- Operates with substantial latitude for unreviewed action or decision
- Works on complex and diverse issues where analysis of situations or data requires an in-depth evaluation of variable factors
- Typically has no direct reports.
- Typically has no total staff.
- Typically has a global geographic focus.
- Typically does not manage a budget.
- Other scope factors include:
- Assignments are broad in nature and need ingenuity and originality to solve.
- Often plays a role in high-level projects that have an impact on the company’s future direction.
Business Travel and Physical Demands
Business travel of approximately 25 percent yearly is expected for this position.
- Office environment. No special physical demands required.
Bachelor’s degree or global equivalent in related field. Advanced degree a plus.
Typically 10 or more years work experience in public policy and/or business with significant responsibility for independent work.
Skills & Competencies
- Strong analytical and writing skills.
- Strong organizational and logistical skills.
- Strong negotiation skills.
- Excellent relationship management skills.
- Effective executive level communication skills (written/verbal) to achieve specific objectives.
- Strong editing, copywriting and project management skills.
- The ability to develop, maintain and strengthen partnerships/relationships and establish credibility with others inside and outside the organization who can provide information, assistance and support.
Strong sense of teamwork and collaboration; Able to effectively work through conflict and differing opinions.
If you want to fulfill your potential, be acknowledged for your achievements, and be given autonomy to make decisions for your business and customers; if you want to work with a company that respects you as an individual – recognizing both your needs at work and your responsibilities outside of it – then CA Technologies is where you belong.
At CA Technologies your passion and expertise can directly impact the business and you’ll help offer our customers practical approaches to delivering new, innovative services and value through IT.
We offer competitive salary, company-sponsored premium Medical/Prescription & Dental Plans, company-paid Holidays, Vacation, Anniversary Service and Sick Days, 401(k) Plan, Education/Training Reimbursement, Charitable Gift Program, Adoption Assistance Program.
Learn more about CA Technologies and this opportunity now at http://ca.com/careers
We and all of our subsidiaries are equal opportunity employers. As such, it is our corporate policy to fill positions with qualified candidates regardless of the candidate’s race, color, sex, age, religion, ancestry, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, disability, pregnancy, military status, veteran status or any other protected group status.
Note to Recruiters and Placement Agencies: We do not accept unsolicited agency resumes. Please do not forward unsolicited agency resumes to our website or to any of our employees. We will not pay fees to any third party agency or firm and will not be responsible for any agency fees associated with unsolicited resumes. Unsolicited resumes received will be considered our property and will be processed accordingly.
If you require an accommodation with the online application process, please contact Talent Acquisition at 1-800-454-3788.
Back to top