Software Engineer (PHP)
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
Who is Castor?
Castor is a leading cloud-based clinical data platform working with some of the world's largest medical device companies, biopharmas and renowned academic institutes.
We simplify the clinical trial process, from recruitment to analysis, with user-friendly, patient centric technology. Our mission is to bring medical research into the digital age. Why? Because medical research is still largely run using free-text, paper and legacy technology.
Our self-service platform enables our users to run remote, device enabled, patient centric trials. By helping our users capture high quality data and making it machine readable, we are fundamentally changing the flawed evidence-based medicine process.
How is Castor supporting the Coronavirus crisis?
Castor has joined the global fight against the Coronavirus by making our research data capture system available for free for all COVID-19 research projects. As of July 01st, Castor is supporting more than 200 COVID-19 studies across the world.
Castor's EDC team
Castor Electronic Data Capture (EDC) is the core of our platform. It's also our largest product in terms of customers and codebase, with thousands of researchers worldwide using our EDC to build their study databases and securely collect their research data.
The EDC team focuses on bringing clinical research into the 21st century. Together, the team contributes to developing exciting new features, powerful APIs that connect our platform to Electronic Health Records and complex algorithms to support versioning of study data and metadata.
We also want to be honest. With all this new code, the team does 'get their hands dirty' to resolve some of the technical debt we've been accumulating over the last few years.
What you'll do
At Castor our stack, well...it's stacked! With PHP at it's heart, Castor EDC uses Doctrine, React, ExtJS and MySQL, runs on ansible- and terraform-managed infrastructure, builds via CircleCI, and is monitored via Tideways, NewRelic and Prometheus. To realise our vision and ensure that our products and tools embrace the frontier of innovation, you'll:
- Designing, debugging and coding for a growing network of medical researchers
- Analysing performance data and optimising bottlenecks
- Deconstructing user requirements to model optimal, scalable, solutions
- Working on automated toolchains to construct and integrate our applications
What you'll bring
A repertoire of coding comprehension! Being a skilled software engineer, you'll know how to decrypt and improve a (legacy) codebase whilst keeping yourself abreast of current trends. You'll have:
- Practical experience with PHP, design patterns, OOP, and automated tests
- Experience in building web-based applications (SaaS)
- Knowledge of web security, common vulnerabilities and their mitigations
- A creative mindset with the ability to help solve challenging domain problems
What you'll learn
It's a crucial time for Castor. We're on 'full power mode' and scaling-up at an exponential rate. For you, the opportunities are endless:
- Develop skills by building robust 'bulletproof' security to protect patients medical data
- Working with a diverse group of PHP practitioners from all over the world
- To share your ideas openly and influence the growth of a true scale-up company
- Be involved in maximising the impact of medical research and improving healthcare
How do we say thank you?
At Castor we truly live and breathe our core value, believing we can 'achieve anything with a healthy and happy team.' With this in mind, we offer the following benefits:
- Awesome new office near Amsterdam Amstelstation - the Castor Burrow!
- Want to spend less time in work? We offer contracts between 32 - 40 hours per week
- A competitive salary plus a guaranteed happy holidays bonus
- An advantageous allocation in our Employee Stock Option Plan
- 30 days annual leave (plus national holidays)
- Interested in 'lifelong learning'? You'll love using our development and training budget
- We love good food! So, we provide lunch and healthy snacks in the office every day
- Flexible approach to working - nobody is tracking your time except you.
- A new MacBook or Dell laptop, we're a tech start-up after all ;)
- Like to feel zen? You'll love our daily meditation, in our very own office 'relax room'
- How do we care about your wellbeing outside of work? A company subscription to Calm
Back to top