Team Manager - Platform Support
The Platform Support Team Manager is an entry level management position focused around associate development, the oversight of support, the oversight of the team’s strategic mission within IT, ensuring the team’s collaboration throughout IT, and, ensuring positive interaction with internal and external customers. The position requires strong interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills and is responsible for the support of all systems within their team.
Associate development is an important aspect of this position and includes providing courageous leadership, motivation to improve team dynamics, mentorship in order to assist the growth of team members, and constructive feedback on their work.
The Team Manager is responsible for implementing the mission of their team. They are also responsible for implementing and influencing the strategic vision and goals of their team through the successful work of their team members.
This role is that of an ambassador and counselor amongst the various IT teams. They are charged with ensuring that their team is focused on strong customer service, collaborating to successfully meet organizational priorities, and resolving conflict with a win-win resolution.
The Team Manager is a key liaison with the customer community. They need to be able to communicate and collaborate with the business users and customers in order to have their tasks addressed in a manner that builds positive customer relations. They are also able to courageously influence the processes and barriers to their projects in order to best represent the customers’ requirements and needs.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for day-to-day tactical team decisions
- Required to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously
- Accountable for team’s use and adherence to the CarMax®: methodology
- Ability to drive through obstacles and time constraints to overcome barriers and successfully deliver results
- Create/maintain team staffing and scheduling, to include time tracking
- Demonstrated ability to schedule and execute hardware and software releases
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and assign tactical requests to the team
- Responsible for frequent associate File Reviews
- Consistent ability to provide associate feedback by writing and delivering Annual Performance Reviews
- Working with associates to collaboratively establish an Individual Development Plan and review them on a timely basis
- Ability to track associate performance and provide them with appropriate feedback
- Participates in 24×7 on-call rotation as a backup for the team and during crisis situations
- May provide technical experience related to the position
- Ensures that support problems and errors are tracked to ensure appropriate future handling
- Lead incident reporting to include postmortems
- This involves prioritizing enhancements to reduce that support; scheduling support rotations; ensuring that the ticket queues are appropriately managed; and assisting with critical outages at any time
Design and Review
- Active participant in project design meetings providing vision and guidance
- Applies technical knowledge in specialty areas for position
Customer Interaction / Business Knowledge
- Expert ability to understand the business principles and priorities of the supported business channel
- Consistent ability to build positive relationships with customers and contacts in supported business areas
- Expert ability to interact with the customer including understanding of requirements and proposed solutions
- Consistent ability to lead meetings and discussions in order to gain consensus and establish direction
- Continually seeks opportunities to increase internal customer satisfaction and deepen client relations.
SPECIALITIES: (Preferred experience and skills for these positions)
Platform Support Team Manager- Comprehensive understanding and in-depth experience with Windows 7/10, including, configuration, infrastructure, capacity planning, monitoring and support. Complete operating system and hardware proficiency is assumed at this level. Experience managing projects that require large hardware investments. Will have a strong understanding in developing and providing metrics for Support-based functions.
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to consistently execute each essential duty & responsibility as well as consistently show proficiency with the following qualifications. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Leadership – can apply clear direction and priorities to the team
- Provides vision – into the big picture
- Serves as a role model and leads by example
- Inspires and motivates the team
- Strong communication skills required
- Implements new policies and procedures effectively
- Promotes a customer focused team
- Promotes associate responsibility through work ownership and engagement
- Addresses tough issues in a timely manner
- Provides guidance and mentoring to team members
- Drives for results – Has demonstrated a consistent ability to deliver solutions on-time and with high quality
- Business process knowledge a plus
Education and/or Experience:
Years of experience
Typically 7+ years of applicable experience for position
4 year degree in IT related course of study
Microsoft Office experience required
Strong project management skills required
Experience managing people preferred
Back to top