Strategic Sourcing Category Leader
The Strategic Sourcing Category Leader will lead a group of cross-functional partners to implement the strategic sourcing process at CarMax for specific spend categories (ie, IT, Marketing, Logistics, Automotive Equipment) totaling an external spend of one billion dollars for the organization. The Category Leader will be responsible for working with the VP, Procurement and Strategic Sourcing and across business client groups to develop and sustain category sourcing strategy, as well as guide them through supplier evaluation, selection, and contracting and ongoing relationship management for key supplier relationships for CarMax.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manages assigned category portfolio and aggressively seeks opportunities for cost and value improvement through advanced analytics, sourcing strategy development, and negotiation.
- Develop baseline category assessment and sourcing strategy and drive overall sourcing process for assigned category
- Develop and communicate category specific metrics, category cost drivers, leading indicator data, and external market factors that could impact cost and introduce risk to the supply chain.
- Develop and implement contract negotiation strategies for assigned spend categories to leverage spend, maximize savings, provide non-price value opportunities and improvements while maintaining or improving product quality and supplier service levels
- Lead end-to-end supplier evaluation and negotiation processes; including business needs review, the development of thorough business requirements, market intelligence and research, negotiation strategy development, rigorous RFP processes, and contract negotiations across assigned spend categories and projects.
- Provide analysis and articulate to senior management and stakeholders on strategic sourcing strategies and outcomes.
- Develop communication, implementation, and tracking plans for assigned category
- Monitor industry trends and developments and update category strategy as needed to achieve business goals
- Develop benchmarks and utilize best practice sourcing techniques and tools within the category portfolio
- Collaborate with Finance and business partners to drive compliance and ensure savings flow through the P&L
- Manage and oversee key supplier relationships for Business Teams to provide maximum value by developing and managing a multiyear supplier roadmap and Supplier Performance and Management plans
- Conduct periodic reviews of vendor performance and establish goals for balanced scorecard for on-time delivery and quality, including qualitative elements and cost reduction
- Independently resolve supplier performance issues and collaborate with business teams to identify improvements and articulate performance needs.
- Category expertise in one or more of the following: IT, Marketing, Logistics, Construction/Facilities, Automotive Equipment, Automotive Parts, Travel, Administrative Services
- Strong analytical and financial analysis capabilities with proven experience in performing detailed analyses of complex data or situations
- Strategic, cross-functional thinker able to gather buy-in from leadership for ideas and projects
- Experience with lean/process improvement and process mapping preferred.
- Deep understanding of the commodity landscape in order to forecast industry trends and gauge emerging competitive forces
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Knowledge of supply agreements; understanding of key contracting provisions and requirements
- Detail-oriented and comfortable with a fast-paced, structured, retail environment
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in strategic sourcing, procurement, etc.
- Four year undergraduate degree
- Proven strong analytic skills required
- MBA preferred
- 5+ years post-degree with top tier consultancy preferred
Back to top