Strategic Sourcing Category Leader
The Strategic Sourcing Logistics Category Manager will lead a group of cross-functional partners to develop and implement the Logistics sourcing strategy at CarMax, which totals an external spend of over two hundred million dollars for the organization. The Category Manager will be responsible for working with the AVP Logistics and VP Procurement and Strategic Sourcing to develop, bid competitively, roll-out, optimize, and sustain CarMax's Logistics sourcing strategy. The Category Manager for Logistics will guide internal stakeholders through supplier evaluation, selection, KPI development, contracting, and ongoing relationship management for these key supply chain relationships for CarMax.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Manage Logistics spend portfolio and aggressively seek opportunities for cost improvement through advanced analytics, sourcing strategy development, and negotiation.
- Drive innovation, leverage best practices, and assist the CarMax AVP for Logistics in identifying cutting edge transportation opportunities.
- Develop baseline sourcing strategy and drive overall sourcing process for Logistics and shipping.
- Develop and communicate category specific metrics, leading indicator data, and external market factors that could impact cost and supply risk.
- Develop and implement contract negotiation strategies for spend categories to leverage spend, optimize TCO, and identify and deliver non-price value opportunities and improvements while maintaining or improving product quality and supplier service levels.
- Act as liaison with CarMax Legal and Financial experts to drive projects to closure.
- Lead end-to-end supplier evaluation and negotiation processes; including business needs review, market intelligence and research, negotiation strategy development, driving RFP process, and contract negotiations across various spend categories and projects
- Provide analysis and articulate to senior management and stakeholders on category and strategic sourcing strategies and outcomes.
- Develop communication, implementation, and tracking plans for Logistics.
- Monitor industry trends and developments and update category strategy to achieve business goals; benchmark and utilize best practice sourcing within the Logistics portfolio.
- Collaborate with Finance and business partners to drive compliance and savings flow through to KMX P&L.
- Develop and manage multiyear supplier strategy, roadmap, and contract management plan.
- Conduct timely reviews of vendor performance and establish goals for on-time delivery, qualitative elements, and cost reduction.
- Independently resolve supplier performance issues and collaborate with Logistics and Finance teams to identify improvements and evolving needs.
- Strategic sourcing and supplier performance management expertise in Transportation and Logistics, including distribution network design/optimization, and small parcel.
- Strong analytical and financial analysis capabilities with proven experience in performing detailed analyses of complex data and/or situations.
- Strategic, cross-functional thinker able to gather buy-in from leadership for ideas and projects.
- Deep understanding of the commodity landscape in order to forecast industry trends and understand emerging competitive forces.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Knowledge of contracting agreements; understanding of key contracting provisions and requirements, with proven negotiation experience.
- Detail-oriented and comfortable with a fast-paced, structured, retail environment.
- Proven project management skills, and ability to lead through influence.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 7+ years of relevant work experience in strategic sourcing, procurement, etc.
- Four year undergraduate degree
- Experience with lean/process improvement and process mapping preferred
- MBA and/or PMP certification preferred
- Proven strong analytic skills
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top