Sr Manager, Internal Audit - Operations and Data Analytics
8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
The Operations and Data Analytics Audit Senior Manager will help lead the Internal Audit team and support achieving the goals set out in our audit plan each year. This role will help define and lead the roll out of the data analytics strategy for Internal Audit, as well as develop and lead audits of operational processes, policies and procedures. The data analytics strategy will support our ongoing assessment of risk, execution of audits and projects and support of the overarching company management of risk through continuous monitoring and business support. CarMax is growing and changing rapidly, and this role will help Internal Audit stay informed, engaged and act as a value-add business partner by providing insights and support.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
- Support the development and lead the roll out of Internal Audit's data analytics strategy and continued growth in this program. Growth of this program will include development of talent and capabilities, as well as managing communications.
- Partner with other internal auditors and business stakeholders to understand data sources and business challenges to design creative approaches to identify, evaluate and communicate risk and opportunities to drive results. Establish key relationships and lead discussions with cross functional teams to understand and collaborate on complex business issues.
- Lead the development and execution of operational audits designed to evaluate compliance with policies and procedures and identify process improvements. Identify opportunities and needs for these audits. Enhance and grow the current operational audit strategy. Develop associates to support this audit capability.
- Support the Internal Audit risk assessment process through observations and conclusions made from continuous monitoring and other data analytics, as well as through relationships and communications with stakeholders.
- Support the overarching management of the Internal Audit team through short-term and long-term resource planning, associate development and leadership in key initiatives.
Purpose of the role
As a leader in Internal Audit and as the primary driver of our data analytics program, this role requires an honest, transparent and collaborative individual that is highly self-motivated and focused on customer service, associate development, teamwork and continuous improvement of processes. This associate need a risk and control mindset to ensure Internal Audit is successful in providing audit and advisory support that meets the needs of our various stakeholders, including the Audit Committee and senior management. This role requires an effective and inspiring leader with exceptional communication skills in order to develop the needed relationships for success, to identify business challenges and to partner with others to create effective solutions that will be valued by the business. This leader will also need to have a desire to build our analytics capability including executing on the work while building a business case for growth. This also includes staying on top of latest best practices in operational auditing, data mining, visualization, data auditing and monitoring in order to ensure credibility and the development of an effective program.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Bachelors degree required, preferably in Math, Statistics, Accounting/Finance, Engineering, Computer Science or Economics
- Six or more years of relevant work experience required; preferably in internal audit, other audit/compliance functions or data analytics
- Experience with the following required:
- Performing risk assessments to identify key areas of risk
- Designing appropriate procedures to address identified risks and validate the operation of controls
- Leading and managing teams, preferably in an audit setting
- Auditing or clear experience with risk and control mindset
- Planning and project management
- Experience with the following is preferred:
- SQL and business intelligence tools
- Visualization software, preferably Tableau and/or Alteryx
- Quantitative modeling, statistics, or data mining
- Robotic Process Automation technologies (ex: Blue Prism)
- Financial reporting processes for publicly listed companies
- Retail industry and/ or financial services processes
- Experience with the following is a plus:
- Technical knowledge of U.S. Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Experience with consumer compliance laws and regulations or other compliance audit activities
- Leadership qualities including ability to inspire and/or persuade others (including associates in Internal Audit and business partners across the organization)
- Ability to supervise and/or perform multiple projects concurrently to meet deadlines
- Ability to work in a team setting as well as independently while being self motivated and driven in both settings to adapt to a constantly changing environment
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application .
If you have technical problems when submitting your application, please contact us by phone (888) 922-7629 ext. 3888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top