Sr. Data Scientist
- Richmond, VA
8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About this job
It's an exciting time at CarMax! After decades of success and a rise to becoming the largest used car retailer in the US, CarMax is focused on disrupting the auto industry once again through our transformation to a leading omni-channel retailer. To achieve this goal, CarMax has spent the last few years investing heavily in modernizing our digital and analytical infrastructure to support our customer-centric experience as the customer shopping journey continues to evolve online. We're stitching data science throughout our business to drive a great customer experience and optimize our operations.
As a Sr. Data Scientist in Marketing Analytics, you will join a team responsible for developing and maintaining algorithms and analytic tools that help CarMax acquire quality customers and optimize the shopping experience for those customers. With thousands of unique vehicles in inventory, helping customers efficiently find the right car is key to our business success. Our Data Scientists build sophisticated algorithms using best-in-industry data collected from millions of consumers as they shopped. These algorithms enable strategic acquisition strategies, personalized customer experiences, help customers make decisions, and help CarMax sell cars.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
- Leverage CarMax's machine learning cloud environment to design, develop, & operationalize algorithms (e.g. statistical models, machine learning) that will directly impact critical areas of the CarMax business
- Assess performance of in-market algorithms and identify & act on opportunities for improvement
- Partner with teams across CarMax to explore new use cases for algorithms and bring new customer experiences to life
- Design tests and develop strategies to collect data needed to improve algorithm performance and produce iconic data-driven experiences for CarMax customers
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Degree in Statistics, Data Science, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in a relevant field
- Experience developing and maintaining data science algorithms in a business setting
- Experience designing and analyzing statistical tests
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to communicate complex concepts in simple terms & an ability to tie analytic results to business outcomes
- Strong results focus, project management, & teamwork
- Proficiency in coding for analysis and operationalization/automation (e.g. Python/R, SQL/Teradata)
Back to top