Sr. Analyst, Financial Reporting
8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
The Financial Reporting Senior Analyst will play an active role in the Company's SEC reporting and U.S. GAAP compliance processes. This position will be responsible for preparing and reviewing financial information, analyzing and reporting on financial results, evaluating accounting policies and serving as a resource to assist in interpreting and providing solutions to technical accounting and business issues. The position will report to the Financial Reporting Senior Manager and will work closely with the company's Corporate Accounting, Investor Relations, Legal, Accounting Policy, Treasury, Tax, and Internal Audit departments, as well as other management and external auditors.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
- Prepare monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, quarterly and annual earnings releases and SEC filings and annual proxy statement with limited guidance from management
- Prepare and review various monthly and quarterly financial schedules, analyses, reconciliations and journal entries with limited guidance from management
- Participate in and/or lead special projects (e.g. new financial reporting regulations, implementation of new accounting standards and/or systems) and meetings. Serve as a functional expert in SEC and external reporting requirements for special projects and accounting initiatives.
- Review work performed by other analyst(s) within the department
- Identify and research technical accounting issues or developments, and provide necessary guidance to management or other departments
- Support the external audit process, including preparation of client-prepared schedules for quarterly reviews, annual audit and SOX 404 testing, as well as maintenance of financial reporting process documentation
Purpose of the role
This position will be responsible for preparing and reviewing financial information, analyzing and reporting on financial results, evaluating accounting policies and serving as a resource to assist in interpreting and providing solutions to technical accounting and business issues. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. This includes, but is not limited to, the following abilities:
- Multi-task and complete tasks in a timely manner while balancing priorities and managing interruptions
- Motivate and lead others, including gaining buy-in and driving team engagement
- Apply business and technical knowledge to produce results and make recommendations
- Independently own problem analysis, determine possible solutions (with risks and rewards identified) and present to management
- Use own experience to train, develop and mentor other associates
- Motivate and influence across multiple levels of the organization and willing to challenge upwards appropriately
- Provide "win-win" solutions while resolving customer service issues in a positive and professional manner
- Build and maintain strong relationships throughout the organization
Qualifications and Requirements
- Four year degree in Accounting and/or Finance required
- CPA required
- Four or more years of general accounting experience in public accounting and/or corporate financial reporting with significant exposure to SEC reporting requirements
- Strong accounting skills including knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP), SEC reporting requirements and XBRL
- Experience with lease accounting (ASC 842) requirements preferred
- Previous experience preparing and/or analyzing financial statements
- Previous experience drafting and/or reviewing notes to financial statements and other supplementary information (i.e., Management's Discussion & Analysis [MD&A], exhibits, etc.)
- Previous experience with XBRL taxonomy and tagging of financial statements and notes preferred
- Previous project management experience preferred
- Ability to communicate in a clear and open manner through verbal, written, and non-verbal methods
- Requires mathematical skills that would be gained from a typical undergraduate accounting curriculum.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, and PowerPoint)
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application .
If you have technical problems when submitting your application, please contact us by phone (888) 922-7629 ext. 3888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Back to top