Senior Database Analyst
The Senior Analyst - Database position is responsible for the development, maintenance and production of the database systems of CarMax®: IT department and ensuring the database systems meet CarMax®: quality standards.
This position requires partnering with other members of the IT community in order to successfully complete assignments. Generally, this will involve mentoring and providing direction to junior associates in the development or support of database systems and projects with minimal direct supervision.
Software Development Methodology and Support:
- Works with the application development teams in designing and implementing database and software solutions
- Responsible for the ownership of assigned database administration tasks and medium to large sized projects
- Ensures that database administration support and development efforts consistently meet CarMax®: standards, business requirements and direction
- Passionate support and ownership of all areas under their responsibility
- Consistently mentors others in the designing and implementing database and software solutions
- Effectively develops timelines for themselves and others to perform tasks and influences the team's work to be completed within those timeframes
- Participates in a 24x7 on-call rotation as scheduled and must perform after hours support
- Must effectively categorize support problems and respond with the appropriate level of urgency
- Influences the work of others to drive medium and large projects to successful completion through effective project management, customer interaction and IT coordination
- Responsible for mentoring others in best practices, procedures and concepts
- Steers the relevant support tasks of other associates
- Drives through obstacles and time constraints to successfully deliver a project to completion
- Delivers solutions through building consensus in both business and technical perspectives
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Understands business sufficiently to apply database tools and technology solutions to a select area of CarMax business or, in-depth understanding of the application of technology to another companies business.
- Project management skills with proven ability in leading medium to large sized project teams (often multiple projects simultaneously)
- Demonstrated ability to compare and contrast alternative approaches to meet objectives while assessing risk both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Possess strong organizational and time management skills
- Ability to be flexible
- Ability to understand and document business requirements as well as provide a proposal of the appropriate solution
Database maintenance responsibilities:
- Able to perform database maintenance responsibility to ensure database access, performance, security and back-up/recovery is optimal and available at all times
Systems troubleshooting duties:
- Able to troubleshoot system errors and working efficiently to resolve issues and mitigate system downtime
Database upgrades tasks:
- Able to implements software and patches including working late nights, early mornings, some holidays and weekends
Education and/or Experience:
- Years of experience 5+ years of Database administration experience
from a single vendor (i.e. Sybase, SQL Server, Informix, Oracle), required
- Education preference 4 year degree in IT related course of study
- Computer skills 5+ years experience in UNIX and MS Windows, environments
- Application development 5+ years experience supporting a Client/Server or
equivalent application development environment.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top