Senior Analyst - Pricing & Inventory Systems
Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry and to this day remains the undisputed market leader in a $500B+ industry. With best-in-class financial performance, customer satisfaction, digital presence and associate engagement, CarMax is well positioned for continued growth. With this growth, we strive to maintain our analytics-based competitive advantage through our algorithm driven pricing and inventory systems. To do so, we’re currently looking for experienced data engineers who are looking to apply their passion for data and technology to drive business-critical decisions.
The primary responsibility for the pricing and inventory system teams is to accurately value the unique characteristics of each individual car that we buy or sell, and also allocate those vehicles across our 150+ stores. Last year alone, CarMax sold more than 1 million vehicles, appraised over 2 million vehicles, and had $100m in weekly auto auction spend – all while dealing with constantly changing consumer demand, wholesale auction supply, and other market conditions that are often regionally differentiated.
In order to realize the full value of our models, our systems experts must accurately and instantaneously deliver thousands of recommendations to our field associates daily. This requires the combination of a deep understanding of the models, the technical skill to deploy new models as robust and stable systems, and the results focus and analytical ability to quickly diagnose and fix problems as they arise.
What will you do in this role?
As the technical expert of our systems, a successful Senior Analyst candidate will:
1. Collaborate with statistical modeling experts to rapidly deploy newly developed models
2. Maintain/enhance model performance, data integrity, and system reliability by:
- Assessing and improving methodologies and processes used to develop and manage models
- Analyzing vast amounts of complex pricing-related data
- Partnering across the team to create processes for identifying and fixing system issues
3. Help CarMax continue to develop its data science expertise by:
- Researching innovations and best practices related to data science techniques and processing large data sets
- Influencing the team in the development of our data technology roadmap
4. Communicate how our systems work to team members, both at a general level and a detailed level
What are some of the benefits of working in this role?
1. Ability to make a large impact on a Fortune 500 company
- Play key role in driving company’s strategy
- Despite being undisputed market leader, CarMax only has a 4% market share of the late-model used car market, allowing room for exponential growth
2. Large focus on professional development
- Your development is as important as your work in our group
- Our leaders are heavily invested in helping all analysts hone their technical, communication, leadership, and other skills
3. Great work environment
- CarMax was voted a Fortune 100 best company to work for 12 years in a row
- Good work/life balance; we work hard, but enjoy very reasonable hours
- Work with a close knit team in a fun and casual environment. The broader Strategy Group at CarMax consists of 100+ analysts with stellar work and academic backgrounds contributing to our collaborative atmosphere
- In addition to comprehensive benefits, we have perks like flexible vacation and an on-campus fitness center
What type of person are we looking for?
To be successful for this role, we are looking for someone that can consistently deliver at a high level on the responsibilities listed above. A few of the competencies that will position you for success are:
1. Strong technical skills and a desire to continue to grow those skills
- A passion for using analytics and production systems to make business decisions
- Ability to explore newer open source big data technologies like Hadoop, cloud, etc.
2. Ability to influence the team’s results
- Experience managing your own projects and delivering timely results
- Record of building and maintaining strong working relationships
- Ability to explain standard or novel modeling methods
3. Desire to develop into a strong technical leader and/or people manager
What are the qualifications for this role?
- Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline (graduate degree in data science, computer science, or related field is a plus)
2. Data Science Experience
- 2 years of experience in data science and/or systems development (experience using SQL and Python to analyze big data sets is a plus)
Back to top