At CarMax we develop disruptive applications to drive the industry forward, adding integrity and convenience to the car shopping experience. Our team's product is used to appraise millions of cars a year and is built using Angular, .Net, and Azure. We focus on ensuring customers get an accurate appraisal as quickly as possible wherever they may be. We need someone who can help by improving our code promotion and release process through automation and monitoring.
The Analyst II (Application Infrastructure) role is responsible for analyzing both how best to deploy code across environments and then how to monitor the business transactions to ensure the system is stable. This person provides critical production support and guidance for infrastructure or application issues and is responsible for monitoring and maintenance of existing infrastructure to ensure smooth operations. This Engineer partners with other members of the IT and product community to successfully complete assignments.
The Day to Day
• Develops Azure Resource Manager templates and PowerShell scripts to automate releases
• Analyzes and configures application business transaction monitoring and alerting
• Develops configurations for TeamCity builds
• Provides guidance on the health of the environment through monitoring and analytics
• Responds to performance issues identified by alerting and reported incidents
• Triages problems utilizing advanced tool sets
• Automates frequent operational activities and tasks
• Partners with other teams to implement shared services
• Participates in a 24x7 on-call rotation as scheduled
• Executes configuration requests from developers and product teams.
• Influence the technical direction of others to successfully meet business objectives.
Here's what we're looking for:
• Experience with and passion for writing ARM templates and PowerShell scripts to deploy objects in Azure
• A desire to learn or are already knowledgeable of CI/CD tools, esp. TeamCity, for system builds
• Experience with Azure App Insights and another monitoring tool such as App Dynamics
• An understanding of FTP, DNS, HTTP, SSL/TLS
• An understanding of how data is posted to servers via RESTful services (i.e. get, put, post)
• Experience on an Agile/Scrum team
• Good understanding of related Azure technologies
• Currently supporting a complex, external facing website with full understanding of all its functional pieces
Here are some nice to haves:
• Have experience with Splunk or related tools
• Microsoft MSMQ
• Have some C# .Net experience
Education and/or Experience:
Years of experience
3-5 years of Azure, PowerShell scripting, and application monitoring.
4-year degree in IT related course of study or equivalent experience
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top